Speakers with fullness and weight?

I've always made a concerted effort to hear as many speakers as I can, but I've only found a few lines that have some of the qualities I particularly value. Quite a bit of my music collection includes modern alternative rock/electronic that is a lot less enjoyable when played back on speakers that are too honest (read: thin sounding). My current speakers (Vienna Acoustics Mozart SEs) really give the music a weight and solidity that is often hard for me to find in hifi. I love how the drums give a really hefty thunk, and guitars seem full and rich rather than nasally. This probably just correlates to an increased midbass and relaxed treble, but all the same, any suggestions of other brands would be appreciated. Older Monitor Audio speakers also seem to have this characteristic.
midflder92
Duke's comments about placing the speakers closer to the floor reminded me of the picture of the Super Elf monitors on the Shahinian website, placed just a few inches off the floor. Apparently this is their suggested placement. I assume this has quite an effect on the Allison effect (floor cancelations).

http://www.shahinianacoustics.com/

-Bob
Thanks for your kind words, Ngjockey and Mapman and Seikosha and Hesson11.

Bob mentioned the Allison effect, which has to do with the impact of nearby room boundaries on the frequency response curve at lower frequencies, focusing on eliminating the dips that normally occur.

If we consider the wall behind the speaker, there will be a frequency at which the energy that bounces off that wall arrives 1/2 wavelength behind the direct on-axis sound, and we'll have a dip at that frequency. Along the same lines, we can expect a floor-bounce dip at the frequency the bounce off the floor (between speaker and listener) arrives 1/2 wavelength behind the direct sound. The longer the path length difference between the direct sound and the reflection, the lower in frequency the dip.

Roy Allison's ingenious approach was to:

1) Use fairly shallow speakers and place them flush up against the wall. This moves the wall-bounce dip up high enough in frequency that the inherent directionality of the speaker minimizes it.

2). Place the woofer down near the floor, and the midrange/tweeter up much higher, and choose the crossover point such that the floor-bounce dip for the woofer occurs above the range where the woofer is active, but below the range where the midrange is active, so that the output of neither gets floor-bounce-notched. This is so elegant it almost hurts.

3) Because the woofer is very close to the intersection of floor and wall, it gets the benefit of a lot of boundary reinforcement, so we can get either significantly deeper bass or significantly higher efficiency that we'd otherwise get from an enclosure that size.

One of my absolute favorite speakers of yesteryear is the Snell Acoustics Type A, Peter Snell's masterful adaptation of Roy Allison's concepts.

Another favorite speaker of yesteryear was the little Meridian M2, a small active "D'Appolito configuration" MTM that predated Joseph D'Appolito's landmark article. Placed on a short stand, the floor bounce distance for the top woofer was significantly different from the floor bounce distance for the bottom woofer, such that each one filled in the other's dip. I haven't seen anyone do a low-altitude MTM since then, but imo it makes a lot of sense.

All of that being said, the floor-bounce dip in particular is one of those things that looks worse on paper than it sounds to the ears. Our ear/brain systems are quite accustomed to it, as it's present every time you talk to someone in person outside of an anechoic chamber (part of the energy of your voice bounces off the floor or table or whatever is in between you and the other person, arriving at his ears later in time, and causing a dip in the frequency response of your voice).

The hard part for the speaker designer is figuring out which of all the many problems speakers have are the ones that most need addressing, and there are probably as many well thought-out opinions about that as there are speaker designers + audiophiles combined!

Duke
Thanks for a very interesting read, Duke. While I did mention the Allison effect, I've never really had a good technical grasp of its full implications. All this makes me respect the many decisions that go into designing speakers. Thanks.
-Bob
I have what you looking for i t is not famous brand but you
have to listen if you live in NY area
Great thread, posts, contributions and experiences. This describes my journey and arrival at what I presently have. More threads should be like this.

All the best,
Nonoise