why no recent Merlin speaker reviews?

why haven't Merlin speakers been reviewed for years?
bwc55
My new Merlin TSM MXM's arrived yesterday afternoon. Earlier in this thread I promised to report my initial impressions.

The speakers arrived extremely well-packaged and included clear instructions (which specified a recommended break-in period). Right away I connected them and began playing CD's, at low volume, while I busied myself with household chores.

I actually had never before heard Merlin speakers, and I determined to avoid listening carefully to my TSM's until after they had played the recommended break-in hours and I had set them up per recommendations. Nevertheless, I was immediately captivated by their clean, neutral, coherent, beautiful sound, and played CD after CD as I futzed around the house. Coltrane, Take 6, Eva Cassidy, Kenny Rankin, Michael Franks, Joshua Redman, Joni, Janis Ian, and others (including NPR/PRI news and classical music from my local university radio station) all played amazing through these TSM's!

Also, aesthetics are important to me, and these "Ruby Heart Red" speakers are quite beautiful to behold--almost jewel-like. The underexposed flash photos on my system page do not do them justice.

Upshot: I am looking forward to spending many, many hours listening to my music through what seem to be very special speakers, indeed, as they continue their break-in.

rx7audio
Enjoy, rx7audio! They are outstanding speakers and you're in for more fun in a few more hours of playing time as they settle in.
I suppose there are two ways of looking at the relatively large number of new versions Bobby has come out with over the years. One viewpoint has already been expressed in this thread, and another would be that he continues to refine and improve on concepts that have obviously stood the test of time.

Duke
duke, your words mean a lot to me, and i thank you! :)

to the rest, consider that the tsm and vsm have been built for close to 20 years. i do not think that 7 versions during that time is excessive when compared to new car models each and every year.

maril, i do not dispute what you say because all of this is about personal taste. but never forget that the vsm even with the bam is a "floor standing mini monitor." i never called it a full range or big room speaker. when you consider its bass quantity and extension in comparison to other mini monitors, it has incredible bass when used in
recommended rooms.

thank you.
bobby at merlin
Maril555 I would agree that the VSM will certainly not "burn down the house" with bass output but it might surprise you the depths it can reach with proper system matching, particularly using a proper source, cabling and amplifier. I have had more than one ask where the sub was. No, its not going to satisfy bass aficionadios but that little woofer can certainly move some air, more than you might think. It is most satisfying for my taste on the wide variety of the music I listen to including rock taking into account the rest of what it does so well. I have been listening to the VSM-M, updated from SE, for 12 of the 13 years I've owned the speaker, deliberating shipping it off again for all the upgrades available for this model and other options as well. The Merlin's aren't perfect in all areas to me but always open to improvement and tough to beat on some types of music I cherish. They are really a great choice for the vast majority of real world rooms and of course you get that greatest of resources, a committed manufacturer that will always level with you even when you don't always agree. Thanks for that Bobby, it is appreciated more than you might know.