Sony 9100ES, Oppo 103 105

Redoing home theater, I have the 9100ES and was wondering about the difference in sound quality, for DVD movies only in 5.1, between the Sony and the two Oppo's. Aerial 7b and CC3b front speakers. Thanks.
jl35
A prepro needs to be pretty damn good to better the analog of a 105. I think most of those prepros cost around $10K. I think the AV 8801 represents very good value, but I doubt it's in that top category. OTOH, if room correction is important, that may argue for HDMI rather than analog connection.

db
The 8801 is very close indeed to the Oppo 105 for 2/ch and could easily live with the least cost solution of running everything to it.That is saying a lot and I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two, now having said that if I had my choice and I do ! I use the 105 for all 2/ch as it does nudge pass the 8801 just enough to justify buying it, the 8801 excels beyond expectations as preamp ( hidden gem) I compared all three.

1. I hooked the 105 direct to my Halo A21 as it can function as a preamp, and this became a solid reference point yielding some great sound.

2. I hooked the 105 via hdmi to the 8801 and set the Oppo to bitstream and let the 8801 handle the 2/ch conversion to pcm (no Audyssey )and couldn't believe it was hdmi as it rivaled an analog connection in musicality but has great pacing of the music.

3. and lastly I hooked the 105's balanced outs to the xlr inputs on the 8801 and used the Pure direct mode, let's just say finally you don't need a separate preamp with HT/bypass anymore!

This is my preferred connection,I use the 105 for 2/ch usb/cd and stereo sacd playback, with the 8801 via hdmi for all else and this includes 2/ch when I want somthing different.

This isn't mentioning the SOTA multi/ch processing the 8801 is capable of which is so good , I use it multi/ch sacd with Audyssey and its the best reproduction of music I've heard period!

You will need to spend well over 20k to justify getting better!
Jdub39,

For a complete comparison did you try the 105 analog to the A21, using analog stereo for the front LR of 7.1? I can believe that Audyssey might provide an advantage with multiple speakers, though I wonder if set up using a tape measure and SLP meter would accomplish much the same.

The ARC of the chip used in the Cary Cinema 11a is useless, so I use a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager for room correction for a pair of HGS-15 subs. The 105 outputs analog to Cary inputs set to bypass; the Sony XA-5400ES outputs HDMI. The amps are Proceed HPA 2 & 3 driving KEF R107/2 mains and R102 surrounds.

I'd like to try an 8801 in my room. I've been told I'd be disappointed for balanced stereo, but multichannel might be a win -- I've never tried Audyssey.
db
Hi! if you reread my post, the 105's analog outs for a stereo comparison to the Halo A21 was the first connection method , I used the XLR connection and this became my reference point to judge the 8801 as a 2 channel preamp in which you won't be disappointed, but rather shocked at just how good it is. Its because of that comparison to the 105 going directly to my amp, I feel no need for a dedicated 2/ch preamp, as the 8801 kills in this regard.