Sony 9100ES, Oppo 103 105

Redoing home theater, I have the 9100ES and was wondering about the difference in sound quality, for DVD movies only in 5.1, between the Sony and the two Oppo's. Aerial 7b and CC3b front speakers. Thanks.
jl35

Showing 5 responses by dbphd

I concur with RW points. The analog section of the 105 is superior to that of the 103, but If OP is certain he will not want to use analog in the future, then the 103 is the less expensive buy.

Re Sony 9000ES and 9100ES. I've had both, the 9000ES is very handsome, so it's sitting on the floor of my closet; the 9100ES less so, and I gave it away.

db
A prepro needs to be pretty damn good to better the analog of a 105. I think most of those prepros cost around $10K. I think the AV 8801 represents very good value, but I doubt it's in that top category. OTOH, if room correction is important, that may argue for HDMI rather than analog connection.

db
Jdub39,

For a complete comparison did you try the 105 analog to the A21, using analog stereo for the front LR of 7.1? I can believe that Audyssey might provide an advantage with multiple speakers, though I wonder if set up using a tape measure and SLP meter would accomplish much the same.

The ARC of the chip used in the Cary Cinema 11a is useless, so I use a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager for room correction for a pair of HGS-15 subs. The 105 outputs analog to Cary inputs set to bypass; the Sony XA-5400ES outputs HDMI. The amps are Proceed HPA 2 & 3 driving KEF R107/2 mains and R102 surrounds.

I'd like to try an 8801 in my room. I've been told I'd be disappointed for balanced stereo, but multichannel might be a win -- I've never tried Audyssey.
db
Jdub39,

My question was did you try 5.1 or 7.1 analog directly from the 105 to the A 21? If I understand your last post, and I'm not sure I do, are you saying you prefer XLR stereo through the 8801 to XLR directly from the 105 to your A21 or that there is no sonic difference whether the Halo or Oppo does the analog? I don't know anything about the A21, but I assume it accepts XLR input. I only belabor this because I have a lingering interest in the 8801 as a cost effective way to Audyssey, but I read Kal Rubinson's review to suggest the 8801 is not quite in the same sonic league as the Classe CT-SSP or Bryston SP-3, i.e. . . ."is the best sounding preamplifier-processor I have heard at or below its price".

db
Thanks, Jdub39. What amp are you using for the surrounds? I'd really like to try an 8801, but I'd feel obligated if the local dealer did let me take one home. The local guy I bought the Cary from seems to have connections, so maybe he can line up an 8801 for me to try -- it might also come with a big discount as in the case of the Cary. By the time I bought the Cary, it already had a reputation for outstanding sound combined with annoyingly buggy processing. The 8801 has a reputation for great processing, but I remain skeptical about its sound given Kal's price-oriented caveat. IIRC he also has a very expensive Meridian.

db