Sony 9100ES, Oppo 103 105

Redoing home theater, I have the 9100ES and was wondering about the difference in sound quality, for DVD movies only in 5.1, between the Sony and the two Oppo's. Aerial 7b and CC3b front speakers. Thanks.
jl35
Well, let's not forget that the Oppos also offer many more format playback options. I realize that the OP asked about DVD only. But chances are that he will eventually want to explore the rapidly increasing world of Bluray audio and video. The Sony cannot do this.

Additionally, the Oppos will also allow the playback of DVD-Audio discs, the Sony cannot. And even more: the Oppos will also connect to a home network and/or the internet. This opens up a whole new world of music sources for him to explore. The Sony cannot do this.

And, in the case of the Oppo 105, this unit can operate as a stand-alone, multi-channel DAC that uses the ESS Sabre DAC chips, regarded by many as the best in the world.

Plus Oppo's customer service is head and shoulders above Sony's in terms of responsiveness and overall customer satisfaction. And Oppo are constantly updating even their out of production units with new features and capabilities.

All in all, the Oppos are *much* more versatile machines and will future-proof his system for years to come...

-RW-
Though at this time I am not interested in those other features, if I want blu ray, is there a difference between the 103 and 105 when used for 5.1 channel movies only? Processor is Sunfire TGP-5.
Oppo for blu rays..... you will want to use an hdmi connection and there is not a difference. Now, that is straight from Oppo. also if you have a newer and on the better side prepro....mine is a av8801.... Oppo recommends that the prepro does ALL of the processing.

i only write this, not as a consumer opinion, but what Oppo told me within the last week.

shoot them an email.... they are tell good at getting back to you.

Bill
I concur with RW points. The analog section of the 105 is superior to that of the 103, but If OP is certain he will not want to use analog in the future, then the 103 is the less expensive buy.

Re Sony 9000ES and 9100ES. I've had both, the 9000ES is very handsome, so it's sitting on the floor of my closet; the 9100ES less so, and I gave it away.

db