Hum coming through speakers via Bat 300X

I just purchased a used Bat 300X/se and a new pair of Thiel CS2.4se's for a second system. Set them up last night and have a pretty good hum coming through the speakers. As I turn the volume up with no source playing the hum gets louder. Another weird thing is that I have to turn the volume up a lot more when the CD is the source compared to the turntable. I have the Bat plugged into a PS Audio P5 Power Plant which has never created a hum before when I used it. Any thoughts on either issue. Thanks-------

Bill
itsalldark
If you disconnect (or connect) a component to your amp while the amp is on you can cause a 'pop' which could blow out a driver, usually a tweeter, in your speakers. This is especially true with an amp to pre-amp connection with separates (which you do not have).

Now if you want to risk this happening connecting/disconnecting source components you can, just turn the input selector to an unused input, not the one you are going to connect, then turn the component on. Minimal risk I think, but do not connect it if the source component is turned on and connected to the imput you plan to use for it.

FWIW making changes and not turning off the power amp once cost me the woofers and crossovers in an expensive set of speakers about 25 years ago. It hasn't happened since! :-)
Problem solved! It was the CDP, installed cheater plug----dead quiet. All is right with the world again, almost. Thanks again everyone.
Your amp has a Volume Offset feature that lets you adjust the levels of each input individually so they have the same subjective playback volume at a given volume setting. Check your manual, it's a great feature and a great amp. I love mine.