Explain Class D amps to "non audiophile friends"

Hey folks, I was really enjoying the thread explaining class A amps to class B and AB, wheni was wondering where Class D comes in. I would love to be a snob and say its for my friends, but I have to admit I am doing the learning here! (I am not implying that the other guy who posted was asking the question for his benefit)

Thanks for your help!
Jeff
jeffatus
Mapman, I suspect that it will get much better because of semiconductor speed. Things based on timing scheme like Sigma Delta DACs are limited in resolution by timing accuracy while traditional DACs are limited by tolerance of components. Semiconductors are getting much faster every year including high current Mosfets.
"Semiconductors are getting much faster every year including high current Mosfets."

Exactly!

Much technological progress over the last half century has evolved around the speed of semiconductors as evident in the myriad of increasingly functional electronic devices that never stop coming and likely will not in the foreseeable future either I would bet.

A quick look around today versus 5, 1, 20, 50 years ago quickly confirms that!

I look forward to the day when I might consider replacing my current Class D amps with something that is even better perhaps even for a fraction of the current cost.

Might high end audio be the one frontier so advanced that advances in semiconductor technology might fail to conquer it along with the rest?

I think not.

Time will tell even if it has not already started to do so for some.
is that a class-D amplifier is a very minor tweak of a switched-mode power supply (SMPS)

05-22-12: Kijanki
Bombaywalla - it is the other way around. Class D was invented tweaking SMPS.

Kijanki, I think that we are saying the same thing.... :-)
Jeff, this Wikipedia writeup should help to clarify what has been said. The entire article is well worth reading, but note particularly the block diagram, and the paragraph headed "Signal Modulation" that describes it.

As noted in the article there are ways of implementing a Class D design other than the one depicted in the block diagram, but it illustrates the basic concept.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks for the info, guys. Us non-engineer types need to read and re-read the technical info a few times before we start to pick it up. Question: it appears to me that class A, B or A/B share some similarities, yet class D seems worlds apart from the rest. Is this correct? Could you compare the differences between class D and class A or B amplification?

Thanks!
Jeff