Not ENOUGH GAIN

I have a transcendent grounded grid preamp,hooked up to a anthem a2 power amp 225 watts per,a pair of von schweikert vr3,I have very little gain,I will have the volume turned up to seven and it is just at a normal level. Is there any way I can increase volume. THanks Maxwell
maxwell
I've had a Grounded Grid before, with 101 db efficient speakers. The volume knob was at about 9 o'clock. With 87 db efficient speakers, is 1 o'clock reasonable? Seems like it might be ...
> My amp(Decware Torii 3) and preamp
> (Artemis LA-1) both have a volume
> control. Do I want the pre up as much
> as possible and then phase in the amp?

I think the correct answer is: whichever way sounds better. But if I were in your situation I would try some different approaches:

1. Try it with no preamp at all. Source direct to the

2. Decware with volume control at full open.

3. Decware set to a level such that if the volume control of the preamp were full open that it would be the loudest level you would ever consider listening at. This would give you full range of control with the preamp, assuming you actually want to control volume from the preamp.
Wilsynet thanks. I agree with the what sounds best to me opinion, but always like to get as much input from others who have had similar experience to see if something can be done that makes more sense from a technical stand point.

Tried 1. and like the pre in the mix.

Tried 2. and with both channels full open on the pre(I have separate channel gain in addition to volume gain on pre) I can not go more than 1 or 2 steps on the volume(-54 to -64)of the pre. Would like a bit more control.

Of your suggestions 3 works best.

I guess the other question is with two quality components does it really matter which one you control the volume with or if indeed it sounds fine using both volumes to some extant is there any technical reason why that would be the least desirable?

Thanks again for your input.
Wilsynet,yes you are correct,it is great having so much control over the gain,just took a day to get use to it. Thanks Maxwell
Newbee, I can't speak to others designs but in ours we are using transformers at the input to significantly increase voltage gain as the signal is fed from the source component (ex. 2V source output becomes 16V). The 10K potentiometer is placed after the transformers to attenuate the gain to achieve desired listening levels. The output impedance remains fixed and due to this the frequency response does not change as volume is attenuated. Note that the design uses all passive parts. No active gain stage.