Resolution Audio Opus 21 s80 Integrated Amp

I have the complete Opus 21 system including the s80 amp. The system is connected to a pair of Fritzspeaker Carbon 7's by way of Cardas Neutral Reference speaker cables. The system produces an open, detailed and realistic picture of the music it is playing. Acoustic guitar and deep defined bass really stand out to me. The overall balance of sound is there when playing softer and mid-tempo music (very musical) but when listening to rock & roll (not necessarily cranked) it becomes reserved and lacks the punch & dynamics. I'm considering buying a Solid State or Hybrid Class A/B amp to hear a difference, if any.

Does anyone own the entire Opus 21 system with the s80 amp? If so, your experience with and opinions of it. I cannot find one review of it online. I've read some nice things about the lower watts s30 amp.

It's a nice system and I really like it but am just wondering if anyone out there has the same or similar experience as me.
routeman21
Routeman21,

The Yamaha A-S2000 integrated puts out 90 watts of power into 8 ohms, while according to RA's website the RA s80 is conservatively rated at 80 watts into 8 ohms. Not much of a difference. I'm not disputing what you're hearing, but why is the Yamaha providing more punch and dynamics? Is there a significant gain difference between the two set-ups?
Brawny is correct in that there shoul be no noticable differnce in power or actaul loudness. I refer to my original comment, try changing speaker wires. The Cardas may be too polite.
Brawny,

I read an article which tested the Yamaha and rated it's actual output at over 100w @ 8 ohms. You are correct, it's not that much difference in actual loudness compared to the s80, maybe 1db more but what I'm hearing just may be the simple difference of an class A/B vs. D design. I'm not yet sold on the Yamaha although it sounds surprisingly good. Also, thanks Cello for your input with the speaker cable suggestion. Experimentation: That's what makes this hobby enjoyable & frustrating at the same time.
Hey Routeman21,

I have never been a huge fan of class D amps. I admit I haven't heard all of the class D offerings, but the few that I did hear sounded dry & lifeless. Jeff Kalt from RA has avery good ears and makes very musical gear. I'm be willing to bet that his class D s80 amp is very musical. You might want to look at amplifiers with a high damping factor.

As far as cables are concerned, I respectfully disagree with Cellrover's assessment that the Cardas Neutral reference is the culprit for the lack of punch and dynamics. The Cardas Neutral Reference line of cables is a very neutral & revealing cable. In fact, many Cardas fanatics actually dislike the Neutral Reference line of cables because it is so revealing and not thick, rich & warm like other popular Cardas cables such as: the Cross and Golden Cross. Good luck!