stepped attenuators

Stepped attenuators are new to me and I must say that I'm impressed. I recently acquired a new Burson PI-160 and it leaves the older unit (which I have) in the dust. Burson says that the signal is at its weakest when going through the volume control and tried and tossed out a remote in favor of the attenuator. I can see why. I have all the detail, dynamics, nuance, tone, sound stage, etc. at lower settings that I no longer have to crank it for things to get lively. Its like each setting is all that Burosn intended (hardwired, if you will) allowing all the signal to come through undistorted. I know there's more to this unit than the volume control but I feel it must have a huge influence on the sound quality.
How do you feel about them?
128x128nonoise
Is there anyone out there that could reduce the gain on a preamp if the manufacturer will not do it?
Rgs92, I've placed an order for a 41-step 100K Acoustic Dimensions 8-deck balanced switched ladder attenuator that will do -80db. This is -15db to -20db more attenuation than most stepped attenuators. Moreover, this unit is not much larger than the 4-deck Shallco balanced series attenuator that it will replace.
I don't care for them. I don't like the clicking. I don't like that too often the appropriate volume level seems to between the available steps.
I have had them for many years on my Jadis preamps, first the JP80 and then the JP200, and have gotten used to them. Since both of these preamps have separate volume controls for each channel (in the case of the 200, separate chassis as well), the stepped attenuators are a blessing in that I at least can tell by the clicks that I have the same volume level for each channel. I do agree with Unsound and Stanwal that, at least where I have a source that is so strong in output that I can only use the first quarter of the available volume adjustment, it does seem at times that I find the appropriate level is somewhere between the steps on the attenuator (the differences in volume are larger in the first quarter of the Jadis volume control, more fine as you go higher in volume/lower in attenuation), but this has not been a real problem for me on all but a few recordings.
I'm building a preamp using the Acoustic-Dimension 41 step attenuators. They are well built, have smooth rotation, and are quite silent. They remind me more of Seiden than Shallco. We'll see how they work in a couple weeks.