top 5 preamps under $1,200

I am shopping for a newly - used preamp to pair with my B&K ST202 sonata amp and Alon II speakers. I mostly use my Jolida CD player. Love the open, live performance improvement the Jolida made to my system. Yes, I also currently use a B&K ST10pro MC pre-amp. I am searching for another pre-amp to further increase the soundstage, "live - performance" sound.. I have a short list- audible illusion 3m, Rogue 99 magnum..... Are there others??
dvdgreco
I've seen audilble illusions module 3 and/ rogue 99 go for $800, which is better? Is it value added to spend $300 more on VTL?
Mapletree 2A os first rate. Tube regulated power supply in a separate chassis, point-to-point, and 6sn7 or 12sn7 (cheaper NOS)with the flip of a switch. Previously owned CAT, Lamm, ARC, Dodd, and Joule - all wonderful, but this little preamp, $800 with blackgate filter capacitor upgrade should not be dismissed because it is not $5-8K; it will suprise the heck out of you...

But for me the best preamp, at any price is the $450 Lightspeed Attenuator - limited to 1 input/output, and you need to basically use tube amps fpr high input impedance, but it is the best I have heard for my taste.
I really like my TAD 150 Sig. which resides in my main rig with a TAD-60 amp. But you can't go wrong with a CJ PV10,11,12. I have a PV10 in my 2nd system with a SS amp (Classe CA100) and it sounds very nice. Rocks better than the all tube setup. I have had the CJ in my main room at times and I could happily live with it there. Before I got the TAD-60, I had a McCormack DNA-125 mated with the 150 Sig. and it was a very good match. Although I have never heard the VTL or the Peach, they always seem to be held in high regard. IMHO, if you like what a tube CD player did for your system you will be amazed at what a decent tube preamp will do. BTW, the BAT 3i might be another consideration. Many good choices under $1200 used.
I once had an Audible Illusions Modulus 3. Sounded nice but the brand new National 6922 tubes only lasted about 200 hours. Be sure to use Russian miltary spec tubes if you get the AI preamp. I acquired my mint VTL 2.5 (no phono stage) locally for just $775. Very happy with it for money spent. The TAD 150 Signature did not have quite the same detail but very close and sounded a bit warmer with a wider sound stage versus the VTL. Seriously, if you can get a TAD for $800 or so and don't care about built in phono I'd say go for it. The line stage section is very nice. Only uses (2) 12??7 tubes so tube rolling is fairly cheap. Tube life also not a concern. Best of luck.