McIntosh MC303 vs MC402 with 501's?

Hi there AGon,

I currently have 3 MC501's across the front for home theater and am wondering about completing the setup with either an MC402 or an MC303. I know that presents a plethora of amp org options, but I am wondering sonically what people reccomend.

I know the output specs on both and that on a per channel basis the 402 seems the route to go. But after reading on forums, and reading comments from Ron C, about the actual power vs rating of the 303 is different, I'm curious.

What I really want to know is do people think it a good combo having the 303 do center and surrounds in which case I'd have a 501 for trade or sale, or do I stick with my current belief that 501's have to be the best combo in this?
mhelming
I would think if you are looking at space and budget issues. Your scenerio of running the 303 for center and surrounds and keeping the 501's for front L&R would be a great sounding system. I have the 402 and it is wonderful amp for my needs and I use the 205 for ctr and sur's. I have two channels that sit idle. But it gives me meters for a 5.1 setup. I have no desire to expand to 6.1 or 7.1 as my room and budget don't allow me a justifiable reason to do so. Selling a single 501 may be a slow process unless your dealer is willing to trade in on the 303. What pre/pro and speakers are you using?
I'm using the Classe Ssp 800 and Atlantic Technology 8200e speakers in a 5.1 configuration with a Velodyne DD15 and a pioneer bdp 09 f'd blu ray player.

My other thought is that I should stick with all fully balanced amps for best noise floor. And later on a 402 would be a better stereo amp than a 303.

Thoughts?

The 501's I'll never give up.
No doubt the MC402 is a better stereo amp (love my MC352). So, the question is, are you ever going to have a dedicated 2-channel system? Do you have another room for one? Etc. The MC303 has balanced inputs. Can you include a Back Channel into your present set-up? The Classe SSP800 is capable of 10 channels and you can probably combine the back channels into one through the pre/pro set-up. If you are locked into 5.1 (and there's nothing wrong with that) then your best choice is the MC402, right?
I would assume so and you hit on my other leaning (expanding channel count). I had a dedicated 2 channel rig with MC501's and I consolidated my system, selling the Classe CA5200 I had for multi channel, so I could go McIntosh mono's across the front and then this rear would be 402 or 303. My feel right now is to go for a 402 which would be excellent for migration to a seperate 2 channel rig, and then maybe migrate the 501's around the room for either a complete 501 home theater, or who knows the intro of a big brother, or two....1.2KW's....:)
Everything you are considering would make a wonderful/spectacular surround system. I really would go for the MC402 from what you are saying. Programing becomes the key here. How many BD/DVD discs with more than 5.1 discrete channels will you be playing, right? Is it worth the extra expense? Your pre/pro will combine any extra discrete channels into your existing system anyway.

I checked out the Atlantic Tech Speaker system you are using and they are very impressive. Happy Listening.