McIntosh MC303 vs MC402 with 501's?

Hi there AGon,

I currently have 3 MC501's across the front for home theater and am wondering about completing the setup with either an MC402 or an MC303. I know that presents a plethora of amp org options, but I am wondering sonically what people reccomend.

I know the output specs on both and that on a per channel basis the 402 seems the route to go. But after reading on forums, and reading comments from Ron C, about the actual power vs rating of the 303 is different, I'm curious.

What I really want to know is do people think it a good combo having the 303 do center and surrounds in which case I'd have a 501 for trade or sale, or do I stick with my current belief that 501's have to be the best combo in this?
mhelming

Showing 5 responses by mhelming

I'm using the Classe Ssp 800 and Atlantic Technology 8200e speakers in a 5.1 configuration with a Velodyne DD15 and a pioneer bdp 09 f'd blu ray player.

My other thought is that I should stick with all fully balanced amps for best noise floor. And later on a 402 would be a better stereo amp than a 303.

Thoughts?

The 501's I'll never give up.
I would assume so and you hit on my other leaning (expanding channel count). I had a dedicated 2 channel rig with MC501's and I consolidated my system, selling the Classe CA5200 I had for multi channel, so I could go McIntosh mono's across the front and then this rear would be 402 or 303. My feel right now is to go for a 402 which would be excellent for migration to a seperate 2 channel rig, and then maybe migrate the 501's around the room for either a complete 501 home theater, or who knows the intro of a big brother, or two....1.2KW's....:)
To you as well. They are a great speaker. I have had other, more expensive brands, and I've been totally blown away by how good the Atlantics are. I live local to the company and have been down to their demo room and building floor. I really am impressed with them.

And you're totally right about 5.1

I'd rather go all out for 5 channels than spread thin for 6 or 7. 402 it is!!!
The MX 150 is certainly what I want. It seems to be at the top of the pile presently. But pricey!!!! 12-13k!!
Wow it took a while to respond!! Sorry. Sort of getting away from topic, but no worries.

I like both brands a lot. Great build quality, reliability, and customer service. I've owned both for years and had both companies give me replacements or repairs, with no hassle.

I was running the CA-5200 for home theater with the SSP-800 and switched to now running McIntosh MC501's for the L/C/R and an MC402 for the surrounds.

Obviously there's a single/mono amplification comparison buried within this brand comparison. I've used both B&W and Atlantic Technology on this amplification.

I like the overall McIntosh presentation a little better in my home theater. I find I can push the dynamics/volume and it is less fatiguing, and fuller in sound. That said the Classe did wonderfully. It never ran out of steam and always delivered. Vocals have historically been Classe's strongsuit in my opinion, but the McIntosh rig gives it a run for the money.I had Mac mono-blocks already, thus the transition to a Mac home theater.

I've always felt that Classe amps were a little lean in bass compared to Macs. With a good sub, which we're using anyway, no problems with music or HT, but the ever so slightly added weight of the Mac's makes for more palpable dialogue and effects in my experience.

You really wouldn't be unhappy with either. One thing I like to point out is that Mac had Classe beat in available power for HT, not so much now with the new CT/Delta amps, and configurations. FOr example the 303 is a great piece that is far more powerful than CLasse's 3200, and it is impressive, I've heard it.

Also depends on your loads. I drive Atlantic's, 6 ohm loads, and B&W's, 8 ohm nominal, but really more like 4. I feel like the Mac's, even though Classe is used to voice B&W's, are better for my ears. And I like the multi-tap options on the Mac's (2/4/8 ohm outputs) as you can hear the difference.