Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Rmml,
When did you order it? I'm feeling jealous. Any chance you live in Greater Washington, DC and I could come have a listen? Congrats!
Cheers,
Patrick
I ordered mine towards the end of March, but I cancelled my supposedly remote control option which I think made a difference.
I am actually in Seattle, WA but if I am in the Washington DC area your welcome to come by. Hang in there, it's really what Bhite and others say it is, simply stunning in everyway.
Mmmmmm.....I ordered mine 3/26 (Syrah)with the only change being 1 set of xlr outs (even though it's not balanced) Maybe that means I am getting close. I haven't emailed Mick since 6/3. Course, Seattle is closer to AUS than DC is so mines probably in the mail. Well, at least it gives me time to break in my new Mephisto so I'm not breaking in 2 components at the same time. I'll probably have a trace of regret when I finally get it because I'm going to miss looking forward to getting it. If that makes any sense.
Aloha All,

Mick sent me an email last week saying my Chardonnay was completed and running in, but he was waiting on the chrome cans from the platers. He said it would only take five minutes to fit them when they come in.

I am a little peeved that Rmml received his unit before me when I ordered mine well over a month earlier. Life's a beach.

I will post an update when I have one.

Aloha,

Warren
Hey! I've been on vacation from audio for a while since I am in the process of losing my job. I've been focusing on finding another job instead of spending time here - sorry.

Its fantastic to return to the boards and learn that many of you will be receiving your preamps soon! I certainly hope you love 'em!

Asa - Mine is still sounding great however its a pain in the butt to find good NOS tubes. The KenRad Black Glass VT-231's are great and so are the similar (but NOT the same sounding) Black Glass 6SN7GT's. Unfortunately they tend to be noisy - and the Supratek is very sensitive to bad tubes.

Also - the power supply is quite sensitive to where it is placed. There is an audible difference between placing the power supply on various surfaces. I get the best sound from mine with all the feet removed and placing the unit on a MDF shelf. Too hard of a surface doesn't seem to sound too good and too soft is lousy! Black Diamond #3 cones are too soft for the power supply but work well on the preamp itself. I was hoping to get #4 cones to test out but... my company took a nose dive.

Additional improvements came from adding dampening material (Dynamat) inside the preamp on the chassis and on the inside of the bottom plate. This helps reduce microphonics and vibrations in the preamp.

Also a little mass increased the performance of my preamp. I filled double plastic bags with some "special" sand and placed them inside the two domes in the back. These domes used to contain transformers but now only contain AIR... They are only for looks. The sand actually decreased the vibration sensitivity even further and made the preamp sound a bit better.