Solid State Power Amps That Sound Most Like Tubes?

A close friend, and audio enthusiast who followed my path to tubed audio bliss has run into a situation (long story) due to which he needs to move to solid state. He has enlisted my help in putting together a list of the most likely candidates to consider.

I could use your help, expertise and experience in identifying which power amplifiers would best satisfy a former tube lover.

I've read many, many reviews, and it would seem that several of the First Watt amps (the J2) the Plinius SA 101, the Edge M8M, and certain others might work well, but honestly, I've never heard any of them, and know only what I've read. What do you recommend based on actual listening experience?

His budget is roughly $2750, give or take, and that would be considering a used purchase to maximize his purchasing power.

Part of his system mirrors mine. He is using Silverline 17.5 speakers. Which, based on personal experience can be well powered by my 18 wpc SET amp (granted my room is quite small), but tube watts are = to significantly more than solid state watts, and I'm concerned that the First Watts would be a bit light in the power category.

His musical listening tends toward rock, as well as a lot of female singers and jazz. His listening room is medium to medium large sized.

I would appreciate any help with this. I've searched a large number of threads here but most are somewhat out of date.
nightfall
I have owned many different amps of all variety and in general like what tubes do.
Having said that, I just aquired a Pass/First Watt J2 and it would be very easy for me to live with this amp long term (provided it is used within it's limitations)
I would guess the new Pass/First Watt M2 would be a great choice as well.
Parasound Halo, McIntosh, Pass, Wyred......

Man, I have to say that some of these suggestions, and others, absolutely baffle me.

Could you explain two of your suggestions: I've had a bit of experience with Parasound Halo and W4S amps and neither even remotely have ever struck me as having even a wisp of tube characteristics. For that matter the suggestion of Bel Canto Class D also baffles me - those amps occur to me as linear, cool and neutral as any I've heard, especially the Parasound. I owned Ref 1000's for a few months, and have tried them with a few different permutations of associated gear as well as have heard them in my friend's system and at shows. What exactly about these amps reminds you of a tube amp?
If what you mean by tube sound is warm and inviting for long listening periods with no listener fatigue, then Electrocompaniet is what what you want.

Also Monarchy hybrid amps would work great.

Problem is all tube amps sound different. Some are very forward and "lite up" and others are laid back and a little dull sounding.

Please tell us what your friends likes about the sound of tube amps then we can help more.
I'm not a tube guy yet, but I am heading that direction (in the process of receiving some Quad II-forty monoblocks).

That said, I can give my opinion on a couple of pieces of non-tube gear.

I would highly recommend auditioning a Rega Elicit. The presentation is fast and non-fatiguing. What this amp does well will not be apparent on first listen-- a good thing. I have one and enjoy it immensely, but I thought I would also see how tubes perform, and thought the Quads would be a safe choice.

Also, I would recommend that your friend consider a Quad 99/909 combo or a Quad QC-24/909 combo. The 909 is a killer amp and emphasizes the midrange. I sold mine a while back and wished I hadn't on more than one occasion. The 99 pre has some pretty cool tone control options (I know we aren't supposed to like tone controls, but they are defeatable.) that may be helpful since they aren't the garden variety "bass" and "treble" tone controls.

I have also heard good things regarding the Peachtree Nova and Decco's driving solid-state amps. Underwood Hifi just announced a mod to the pre-amp section to make it better as well. Walter is pretty easy to deal and can provide some good advice.

One last option would be to look at Pathos gear. Something like a Classic Mkii or Mkiii should be sufficient. If your friend can locate a pair of Classic's they can bridged into mono as well, but this probably isn't necessary since the Classic already puts out 70 wpc. I have also seen other Pathos gear used well within this price range.

Hope this helps.

PMB
Right now there's a pair of Pass Aleph 60 monoblocs on Audiogon. Based on my past experience with these, I'd suggest they'd be great for these speakers. You'd get 90 watts per channel into 4 ohms, with monobloc separation.
I sold mine simply because I kept my Aleph 2s, which have more power..