tube choice for Audible Illusions L1

I have a Audible Illusions L1, and it has humming noise on the left channel. I suspect it is the tube. Also, I would like to smooth the sound a bit more. The recommended and current tube I have is 6h23neb. However, I have someone previously recommends Svetlana 6n1p. I would like to try it out, but it says on the AI FAQ that "6NIP tubes should not be substituted as they require additional filament current and their use will compromise performance."
What does compromise performance means? Does it mean the tube life will decrease? But it won't do any damage on the unit, am I correct?

Also, from the tube store, I can't specify the brand. Is it important to order a specific brand?

Besides the 6h23neb and 6n1p, is there other suggestion that will help smooth out the sound, or make it less harsh?

Thanks.
gte357s
Gte357s,

The 6DJ8, 6922 and 7308 are a family of tubes that are interchangeable in most audio applications. The E88CC is the European name for the 6922. The 7DJ8 is a little higher voltage version of the 6DJ8. Unfortunately NOS versions of these tubes are expensive and will probably not last very long in your preamp.

This discussion is only going to get more confusing. Get in touch with one of the tube sellers recommended here or in other threads and take his advice. That is the cheapest and easiest way for you to find tubes that will give you the best sound you can get at a price you can afford.
Tomcy6:

The Siemens 7dj8's were still going strong in my friends Mod 3A four years after we put them in the phono section.

Philips (euro) 7dj8's are $50 each @ Upscale and per their ad copy they are fine for use in the AI 3.
Hi Dekay,

How does the Siemens 7dj8 sound in the M3A? Would it help to smooth things out a bit compared to other tubes? I have ordered Electroix-Harmonix 6922. Any experience how they would compared?
Gte57s,

I have been using an L1 for the past 3 years and currently have the 6h23neb tubes installed and they sound fine to me. I have had them installed for about a year. Before that, when I bought my L1 it came with RCA brand 6DJ8 tubes (made in Germany)which were supposedly made by Siemens in the 60's or 70's. I changed them after 2 years of listening (a lot)just to try something different. I really can't say one is better than the other but they both sound great to me.
Some people on these forums like to indicate that any and all preamps made by AI eat tubes. In my case I certainly haven't found that to be the case so yours may be like mine and not go through tubes.

When you say the sound is dry, I'm surprised no one asked what source, amplifier, and speakers you were using as this could make a lot of difference. One thing about the AI preamps that is different from many others is the fact that they are phase inverting. This means (according to the AI owners manual)that you should switch the red and black speaker cables at your speakers so the red cable is connected to black speaker connector and the black cable is connected to the red speaker connector. Doing this may help but only do it with everything turned off so you don't inadvertantly touch them together and damage you amplifier.

I assume you don't have an owners manual for your preamp. I bought one from AI after I bought my L1 and it took F O R E V E R to get it. If you would like a copy, send me an e-mail with your mailing address and I will send you a copy. It's pretty simple and may help answer some of your questions.

Good Luck.

Al
Only tried 7dj8's in the phono section (1983 Reflektor 6h23's were used in the line stage).

The phono was more open/liquid sounding with 7dj8's VS 6h23's.

Someone in the forums suggested this combo/placement.

Try searching here and @ audioasylum to see if anyone is using 7dj8's in an L1, or in the line section of a 3 or 3A.

If so, I would go with the Euro Philips @ Upscale as the price is OK and they are smoother sounding than Siemens, and Tunsram.

I tried Telefunken 7dj8 as well, but suspect they were not good examples of the tube.