gold lion 12ax7 , au7

Has anyone out there heard the New Censor Gold Lion 12ax7 or the 12au7 yet ? How are they any different than the EH 12ax7 gold pins made by the same company for less money? I am using Gold Lion kt88s in my Rogue Audio m180s so the thought of an all Gold Lion tube compliment is intriguing, Any input would be appreciated !!! Thanks Chris
chrissain
I am breaking in a quad of ECC82s in my ayon spirit. So far they are a little bright on top with a lack of soundstage depth compared to the RCA clear tops that came with the amp. I have around 20-25 hours on them.

FWIW I bought a quad of Shuguang Treasures and installed them in place of Genelex Gold Lion KT88s. The Gold Lions are great tubes, The Treasures are exceptional tubes in all respects.

Haven't tried the complete Gold Lion set of tubes though.
Hi Leatherneck1812,

I am very interested in your comparison between reissue Gold Lion 12AU7 and RCA Clear Top. I love the later for its "magic" midrange and rather good highs and bass.

Please continue to update us (me..) with the results.

Thank you in advance,

Simon
P.S. I did this comparison and I will share my results when you will report yours (to avoid any bias)
its all perspective, and it drives me crazy sometimes, I have RCA cleartops , bought them from rogue, the test well but are bright and edgy in my system. I dont like them at all.
Its all perspective, and it drives me crazy sometimes, I have RCA cleartops , bought them from rogue, the test well but are bright and edgy in my system. I dont like them at all.
I've been wondering if a factor that might contribute to the variability of different people's assessments of dual triodes (aside from the obvious variables of systems, rooms, music, listening biases, etc.) is the degree to which the two sections of particular tubes may have differing characteristics, and variations in the degree to which different circuit designs may be sensitive to that.

As I mentioned above, in the case of the absolutely NOS 1957 RCA 5963's that I had been using, while the different tubes were well matched to each other, there were significant mismatches in transconductance between sections. Different circuit applications, obviously, will have differing sensitivities to that.

As you saw, Chris, I had raised that question in this thread, in a post dated 8-25-2010. Kirkus provided an excellent technical response, but there was little empirical feedback.

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks AL. I have been frustrated in the past with most nos tubes I have tried. When I first got into tubes the whole NOS thing was fun, but I just keep hearing different things than what most people were saying about them. alot of them were let downs, especially for the price of NOS. I have tried mullards, telefunkens, mazdas , GEs, 5751s, RCA cleartops, amperex , just to name a few, and none blew me away, and most sounded worse than the new production tubes I had on hand. It kinda bummed me out.