gold lion 12ax7 , au7

Has anyone out there heard the New Censor Gold Lion 12ax7 or the 12au7 yet ? How are they any different than the EH 12ax7 gold pins made by the same company for less money? I am using Gold Lion kt88s in my Rogue Audio m180s so the thought of an all Gold Lion tube compliment is intriguing, Any input would be appreciated !!! Thanks Chris
chrissain
Yes. I recently installed matched and balanced (section-matched) pairs of both types (Genalex re-issue ECC82's and ECC83's) in my Chinese-made Paxthon VTA-160 amplifier, in which I also have a matched octet of SED "Winged C" EL34's. I have been very pleased with the results.

Previously the small signal tubes were a pair of used 1960's vintage Telefunken 12AX7's (which measured and performed well until one of them developed a problem, which prompted my purchase of the Gold Lion's), and a pair of NOS 1950's RCA 5963's (which had never been used, and measured well, but with a possibly significant mismatch between the two triode sections in each tube).

In comparison, the most major differences were that the Gold Lion's eliminated some congestion I had been sensing on high volume peaks, and provided lower noise levels.

I purchased them from TheTubeStore.com, which optionally offers BOTH matching of tubes and matching of triode sections within each tube ("balancing"). The purchase worked out very conveniently, even though they are in Canada and I am in the USA.

I have no idea how they compare with the EH's.

Good luck!
-- Al
thanks Al, glad to know you have had a positive experience with these tubes, I think I will try them next, I have tried all kinds of NOS tubes with mixed results, and never been totally satisfied so far. thanks ,Chris
I am breaking in a quad of ECC82s in my ayon spirit. So far they are a little bright on top with a lack of soundstage depth compared to the RCA clear tops that came with the amp. I have around 20-25 hours on them.

FWIW I bought a quad of Shuguang Treasures and installed them in place of Genelex Gold Lion KT88s. The Gold Lions are great tubes, The Treasures are exceptional tubes in all respects.

Haven't tried the complete Gold Lion set of tubes though.
Hi Leatherneck1812,

I am very interested in your comparison between reissue Gold Lion 12AU7 and RCA Clear Top. I love the later for its "magic" midrange and rather good highs and bass.

Please continue to update us (me..) with the results.

Thank you in advance,

Simon
P.S. I did this comparison and I will share my results when you will report yours (to avoid any bias)
its all perspective, and it drives me crazy sometimes, I have RCA cleartops , bought them from rogue, the test well but are bright and edgy in my system. I dont like them at all.