biamping question

hi,
sorry, i accidently posted this under speakers. I have a pair of vtl mb 125 mono blocks at 125 per channel, i have ascendo c7 speakers which are power hungry at 87 db. i want to biamp, but am at a loss as to which amp to use with the vtls. Should i get another pair of vtl 125? or should i go ssolid state with more power for the bottom end and use the vtls for the mids and highs. Any input would be much appreciated
thanks
syhilly
I see nobody has mentioned active biamping yet, so let me throw it in.

Sy: a way that might accomplish what you seemed to be intending in your original post is to include an active crossover between the preamp and the amps: the full bandwidth signal goes from the pre to the crossover, where it's separated into mids/trebble and bass. From the crossover you get a set of cables carrying mids/trebble going to the VTL and another set of cables carrying the bass going to a solid state amp. Then from the VTL to the mids/tweeter and from the SS to the woofer/s.

With this configuration now your VTL needs to reproduce only part of the bandwidth. At around 350 Hz crossover point you get 50% of the energy to the mids/trebble and 50% to the bass. Then you do effectively increase the power of your system. A lot more info at sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm.

The downside of this configuration: now you need a SS power amp, a crossover, 2 extra power cords, 2 extra ICs, and the rack space required by these. Are you better off by spending all this and the time it will take to tune this setup, or by simply buying a larger amp that can play your speakers better? Also, at the website I listed it clearly says you should remove the passive crossover of the speakers for this to work, although some users haven't done so and report huge benefits anyway.

Me? I don't know! I've been toying with this idea too. I cannot remove the passive x/o in my speakers withou damaging them (so no way), and I'm torn with the extra expense vs. living happily ignorant thereafter :)

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Horacio
If you want a biamped system why do it in a piecemeal fashion where you have to ensure that the gains are correct and either insert your own filters or feed full range signals to the speaker inputs. Instead, buy an active speaker where the gain is set, there is an appropriate power availability for each driver, the signal is properly bandlimited at the amplifier, and the system was designed as an integrated whole. Then you will end up with the full benefits of separate amplifiers. Otherwise you either have to invest an enormous amount of time designing and testing the system to arrive at system in which you will have any assurance of accurate performance.
thanks to all .. the information really has helped me decide what i will be doing
sy
after all , i have decided to bi-amp, with the same amps that i have. i will wait for another pair of vtl 125 to come on for sale.. i underdstand that there may not be an increase in volume, but , if the sound quality is better, than its worth it!!!
if nayone know about a pair of 125 for sale , not to expensive, i would be interested
thanks again
sy