Revisiting Tube Recommendations for Cayin TA-30

My appologies if this has already been beaten to death! :)

I hope you all are up for this post! I'll owe you all big time!

I have a Cayin TA-30 (purchased in '03) with mods from Paul that included the sub out. It has been connected to B&W Nautilus 803's and a B&W ASW800. I have a Sony XA9000ES as my cd/sacd player.

I replaced them all once from Paul with EL34's, 12AU7's, and 12AX7's tubes, from EH. Simply put, the TA-30 just doesn't come close to sounding as good as the stock tubes did. It, to me, sounds so flat and not open like it used to. I bias the tubes about every 90 days to keep them running at their best.

So now come the questions.

1st. The broad question I have is I need to replace the tubes again, and I want to replace them all, but there are soooo many options and choices and I'm really not interested in "tube rolling", though I know I really should be. Where does one start? I'm overwhelmed!

2nd. The TA-30, I see, can accommodate my types of tubes. Is a KT88 "brighter" or better, or should I stay with EL34's like it's called for? Should optional tubes be used on the front end? Is the TA-30 "pushed" to much using these other tubes?

3rd. Since I have the TA-30 connected to the sub, should I focus only on mids and highs for tubes?

4th. Is there a source out there where I can get this information without bothering you all? I googled some variations, but just haven't had luck. Is it just me, or are all the tube reviews done on guitar amps, not home audio amps?

Well, wasn't that a mess??? :)

Thanks in advance to you all! I hope this thread can become a resource for all us TA-30 users!

Regards,
Bob
bstromberg1
I, too, had the very same amp you have and only sold it because it got too hot in my upstairs apartment. That was one great sounding amp.
If its tubes you're looking for and good advice to go with it, try Brent Jessee at his site. He is most accommodating and knowledgeable in all things tube. His selections are extensive and he has prices to match.
He got me a '71 Mazda RTC 6922 that transformed my Music Hall DAC to the point where I just stopped considering swapping out the opamps.
In the ax slots try the Sylvania 5751 3 mica's with either the bugle boys or RFT's in the au slots. EL34's for single ended winged c's well for all use winged c's are a good choice unless you want to spend some bucks for Mullards NOS or RFT's..... Enjoy the music!
You may want to try the NOS 6p3s-e tubes from Jim McShane. They are cheaper than the EH 6CA7's and sound better.
Here is my advice: John Bonn is right on, use Amperex Bugle Boys 12au7, Sylvania 5751 3 mica with the 6n3c-e also known as 6p3s-e, you won't be sorry and never look back.
I've had about a dozen or more amplifiers in the past that included Symphonic Line, BAT VK 200, Leak and Ayon Spirit II to name a few and this one stands out as one of the best I've owned. Mine too is modified by Paul.

I have a question, can you drive another amplifier using the Cayin subwoofer output? How's the sound?