Audio Research Amp/Pre matching

It is time to once again upgrade(change) my system. Looking at building a new system around a ARC VT100 amp, question is which ARC pre amp is a good match for this amp. And I am certain that a REF 5 would sound great but I mean a older good value for the money ARC pre that is a good blend with this amp.
Thank you for your suggestions
vdosc
I use an LS 25 with a VT130SE. The combo works very well for me, but not everyone loves the LS-25. It's at the dryish end of the ARC tonal spectrum. Pretty neutral to my ear, but not particularly satisfying for the listener with a full-on tube jones.

FWIW

Marty
I use a solid state ARC LS3 played through the "direct" inputs which, I believe, bypasses everyting except the volumn control. This gives a fairly grain and haze free sound with good dynamics and minimal color. Maybe you could find a LS3B, which added XLR outputs or a LS2, which is similar, but adds one whole vaccume tube. The LS3 was a Stereophyle Class A component and went toe to toe with pres costing 3 or 4x more. imo, the REF series would probably be a waste of money for that amp. The amp is great, but not in the same $$$ range as the REF products, again, jmo. Any ARC preamp will be a big step up from most other brands.
Ditto on the REF 3 upgrades? I never heard about this. Does this mean I can send mine into ARC for an update/upgrade like the CD 7 power supply upgrade they offered a while back?