Audiophile quality variacs to decrease voltage?

I have an older 30 w.p.c. tube amp that should be run with 110-115 Volts coming into the unit. The average voltage coming from my AC lines is 124 volts, which puts the operating voltages inside the amp well above what it should be, and will cut short the life expectancy of various components and tubes in the amp. I purchased a newer model 10 amp variac to reduce the incoming voltage to the amp, but quickly found that the sound quality was noticeably reduced with the variac in line, at any voltage set between 100 and 124 volts when in use. Are there any "audiophile quality" variacs available, or some that "sound" better than others? I researched power conditioners that might have the feature of reducing output voltage, but the only solution I found were the new PS Audio Premier power plants that can do this. Unfortunately, they retail for $2,000, and my budget does not allow for such a purchase. Even at used prices, their reliability seems to be an issue from posts I have read on them. Any suggestions from others who have suceeded at reducing voltages without ill effects? Thanks for your help!
bigshutterbug
Bigshutterbug, I used my Hammond isolation transformer to power my Japan voltage Technics SP10 MK3. I have no experience with it on an amp.

I will say that Variacs are notorious for sounding terrible and the Hammond transformer I suggested is an Isolation design, meaning it strips most of the noise off your line but delivers up to 1500 Va.

I had problems finding one, and after contacting Hammond, Digikey, Radio Daze, Mouser and several other vendors that were supposed to stock, I hit a brick wall.

I finally found mine at a tiny shop in GA that not only had it, but at considerable discount from the others.

Here’s a link, I suggest you shop some other spots for price and see how they compare:

http://www.electronicdepotinc.com/index.html

If you have a chance, post back here and tell us how you did.
I'll let you know what I discover Albert... Too bad they don't come standard with Porterports built-in! Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. Audiogon needs more members like you!
Just in case you want to get a bit more creative. Interesting, either way.

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/catch2.htm
The performance of any power conditioner depends on the quality of the device and mains quality. Most of the time people wisely complain about Variac performance being poor because they are referring to the usual low quality high power types used for tools or other electrical appliances. I have used a custom made variac having several taps with a high quality very low resistance switch with excellent results, but the big cheap variac I use to power-up slowly dubious apparatus kills the sound of any amplifier!
Manufacturer Joule Electra uses a variac in their power supplies and no one says they sound poor because of it!
As usually, mots of time you get what you pay for.