Music Reference RM9 and Preamp Experiences

I would like to hear about preamps that RM9 users have tried and had good success with (I own a RM9SE). RM200 users proabable are somewhat relevant as well. So far I have used a Joule LA150MKII, the MR PiaB, and currently using a Dodd Battery Powered pre, but - as always - am wondering if there are other units I should give serious ocnsideration to. Thank you.
pubul57
I will certainly look into the Wright; giant killers I like. Seems like they are designed with no nonsense engineering with little hyperbole.
The Music Reference RM-5 Mk III (tube) preamp mated beautifully with my RM9, also has a killer Phono section. I replaced it with an Audio Research LS15 (tube) & PH3(tube) phono preamps. Cost twice as much, sounds better (not twice as good though!), and of course, now I have a remote!;)
I'm not sure that the Wright would kill the giants but it does sound quite different. Before I settled on the RM200 I auditioned a lot of different sets of electronics with the WP7s. Some were very expensive and very impressive. I thought that the big Audio Research stuff was absolutely beautiful, for instance. Ultimately, though I found it, and a lot of the other expensive stuff more refined and precise, they were a bit too relaxed for me. Something important seemed to be missing.

I can offer another observation that may be helpful. If you have heard WP7s and WP8s you know that the 8s are smoother, less noisy and more extended at both extremes. But for some reason I have not been able to identify I find music a lot more engaging through the 7s than the 8s. While the 8s clearly sound better I prefer music through the 7s. I think that my preference for the Wright + RM200 may be kind of similar.

Sorry for rambling. Good luck in your search.
I wonder about a pre since Roger is fairly adamant that no active pre will work better than a passive, like his Pot-in-a-Box - which I admit does work pretty well, especially for #135!! I've used some pretty good preamps (CAT, Lamm, ARC, Joule, Placette Active) but only had the Joule at the same time I had the RM9. I'm willing to pay up to $4,000 -$6,000 for something that matches really well with this amp, though Roger is going to be making a passive with tube buffer stage - and that may be the ticket, as the principle of passive appeals to me, as does the need for buffering the input and output of the volume control.
Maybe the Cary SLP-98 could be worth a spin here. With the right combination of 6SN7 tubes the sound could be tailored a bit. Overall the signature is classic Cary with lush mids, but some Tungsols or RCA red base 5692's could even that out a bit.