New Adcom GFA-555 se - Special Edition

Adcom is making a new version of the GFA-555 II, the GFA-555 se. This amplifier is essentially the GFA-555 II with slight improvements including balanced inputs larger capacitors resulting in a better soundstage and an even higher damping factor. Did you know that the GFA-555 is likely the best selling piece of hi-fi equipment ever made, with a build of over 100,000 units? The GFA-555se will be available sometime in November.
power_hungry
My personal experience with Adcom has been really bad.
I purchased a Adcom 5300 in 2001-2 to power some Martin Logans Aerius i. The amp was always used at low to moderate levels (8 to 10 max on the preamp volume knob).
The amp was getting so hot, you could barely put your hand on the top cover. I could have use it to cook.
Same with B&Ws speakers.
Same, and I can understand, with Magnepan, eventhough it was marketed as a tough beefy amp capable of driving any load with huge power reserves. I have sent the amp 3 times for repair. I have never been able to keep this amp running more than 3 weeks without issues. The third time, Adcom sent me a new unit. 3 weeks later, it gave up. I did not want to send it back a fourth time. And Adcom were so proud of themselves that they propose to take back the 5300 and sell me a 5400 30% off! I certainly did not want to heat my house with a 5400.
So I took the 5300 to the dump and the only regret I have is to have paid probably around $400-500 for it back then.
My guess is that in the late 90s Adcom took a gamble and got their stuff manufactured in China where consistent quality was non-existent at the time. Or worse there was a huge error in the 5300 design, which would demonstrate that Audio and amplification is really not what Adcom should do.
Chrisr,

Heat generated from a power amp is not necessarily an indication that there is something wrong with an amp. Your amp may have been biased toward class "A", though I don't remember if my 5400 II ran hot or not. You have not experienced a SS amp running hot unless you run pure class "A" amplification from the likes of Pass Labs or others. You can't touch it for more than a second or so.

I actually liked my Adcom 5400 II very much and it was not bright in my system.
Biased toward class A is the explanation I got, but when I am saying it was hot, it was HOT, scary HOT. To the point that it was self-destructing every three weeks, and with plenty of air around it.
But when it worked, yes I found it to sound good.
Sounds like there was a voltage adjustment off the recommended spec. I had a vintage HK amp where one channel was very hot. After I adjusted the internal pots it was normal.
To Adcom 555 SE owners (power_hungry, stonedeaf, others),

Now that you have had your new SE version for a year or more can your comment on your impression of the sound on this amp as it has settled in your system. I've rekindled my interest in purchasing this amp.

Thanks,
Mike