What is the best tube preamp currently available?

Folks - It seems my Golden Tube Audio SEP-3 is finally dead and no support or schematics is available in the entire industry. I am forced to consider a new preamp. I am spoiled with its wonderful tube quality and thought you folks would be the perfect forum to start this research for the perfect replacement. I am primarily stereo based, but would consider an A/V tube preamp, if within my budget. I look forward to your recommendations.
Thanks in advance! - Bill
billfields
Without knowing what components you have in your system or what your preferences are, a friend of mine owns the top of the line Conrad Johnson and considers it one of the finest. But that is in his system and I'm not sure if it would be in yours. Just something to look at.
I am going to try a shootout between the Wavac, the VTL 7.5 Mk2 and the Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. III. I've heard CAT, AR, CJ and Aesthetix. Until now the Wavac is king of the hill but alas also the most expensive. I drive Sound-Labs with Atma-Sphere OTL amps.
Good luck in making the right choice.
A golden tube audio is at the low end of hifi, a good entry piece (like a Conrad Johnson PV10) but not an expensive one. He's probably in the $1k-3K range, which for me ended up being the Aesthetix Calypso. A good choice if you want to integrated home theater, and about $3k used. Other cheaper used choices might be Juicy, VTL, and BAT.