What is the best tube preamp currently available?

Folks - It seems my Golden Tube Audio SEP-3 is finally dead and no support or schematics is available in the entire industry. I am forced to consider a new preamp. I am spoiled with its wonderful tube quality and thought you folks would be the perfect forum to start this research for the perfect replacement. I am primarily stereo based, but would consider an A/V tube preamp, if within my budget. I look forward to your recommendations.
Thanks in advance! - Bill
billfields
I am going to try a shootout between the Wavac, the VTL 7.5 Mk2 and the Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. III. I've heard CAT, AR, CJ and Aesthetix. Until now the Wavac is king of the hill but alas also the most expensive. I drive Sound-Labs with Atma-Sphere OTL amps.
Good luck in making the right choice.
A golden tube audio is at the low end of hifi, a good entry piece (like a Conrad Johnson PV10) but not an expensive one. He's probably in the $1k-3K range, which for me ended up being the Aesthetix Calypso. A good choice if you want to integrated home theater, and about $3k used. Other cheaper used choices might be Juicy, VTL, and BAT.
There is "no best".
System synergy. Personal preferences/taste. Features/cosmetics/reliability/costumer support.
It all matters.
I could have told you what I think is the "best preamp" in my opinion but it doesn't mean "Jack"...now does it ????