Class D amp with Tube Preamp Combo?

Have you ever tried a good class D/T amp & tube preamp combination? I have read their can be some occasional problems matching these together?

I was thinking of going this way to get the drive, clarity and efficiency of the switching amp combined with the warmth and full body of the tube pre amp.

What setup are you using?

My first post by the way! I have been reading this forum for the last two weeks learning about audio and what to buy for my first serious system.
jaffa_777
Yoby i have gone around the block with different footers for my Nuforce amps. I have found Mapleshades brass footers tighten up imaging and just help produce a sound a like better than the rest. Amazing how just a small part of a system can make a large difference in your systems musical presentation. Thats why you need to experiment so you can hear a difference good or bad.

Ait no doubt about it early Nuforce amps had a big RF problem that is well documented. As someone who has gone the upgrade route from standard ref 9 to SE to V2 i never experienced any RF or other problems except a loose connection on the last upgrade that was handled by Nuforces fine customer service dept very quickly. I dont have a tuner so maybe thats the reason for no RF issues. Nuforce has claimed that the RF problem has been resolved.
Bottom line if you are happy in music now thats all that matters.
Ait,

I have no issue if you are happy with your Gilmore amp. Just don't over generalize it by saying that it, quote: "In my evaluation, the Gilmore blew the NuForce Ref 9 SE V2 completely and utterly out of the water." w/o a caveat that it may not be representative of a perfectly functioning unit.

Also, the fact that the Nuforce had RF issue in your system means that your system isn't compatible with the amp. However, you weren't willing to investigate further to alleviate the noise before your auditioning, or get another sample to try. But instead went on to trash the amp the way you did. Fact is, nobody here but yourself mentioned noise issues with Nuforce for this latest V2 version means your experience is an aberation, not the norm. If you made mention of the noise issues, nobody would question your assessment under such condition.

Happy listening,

Kenobi
Following on from my earlier posts on 26/7/08 and 8/9/08, i have now had my Bel Canto Ref 1000 (mk1) in my system for a few months and i'm now really liking the combination with my Supratek Chenin tube preamplifier. Ask me back in July when i first got them, i would say it was a mistake but not now. Earlier concern about soundstage depth is no longer and i found the combo very musical and condusive to prolonged listening. They may not be in the top echelon with top end resolution but enough to allow me to enjoy the benefits brought about by my new TW Acustic Raven 1.

I'm sure the new and more expensive Bel Canto Mk 2 will sound better with the improved input stage but i'm in no hurry to find out at the moment.
I would like to report wonderful results combining a Lamm LL2 pre-amp with Bel Canto Ref 1000 mkii mono's.

Tubes + Class D really works well!

Tubes + Class D when matched properly = warmth + body combined with detail and power. To my ears thats wonderful!!!!

I had earlier auditioned standalone class D in the form of JRDG Continuum 500 integrated. This was ok but much less desirable than having a tube front end.
In a few weeks I will try new flagship of Joule-Electra, Marianne Electra Memorial Edition Preamp - just to be shown at CES 2009. If you recall that their previous preamp got Harry Pearson of TAS Golden Ear in 2007 then I expect very good rersults.
I will try this preamp with Spectron monoblocks and I will post my impressions

All The Best
Rafael