How often do you swap out equipment in general

It seems to me that after a good while of listening, I start getting itchy and start moving
stuff around about every month or so. Do I need to get
some extra strength Gold Bond, or is this normal for "US" ???
jorgeparrapuppy
I usually know what I want and I'm rarely in a hurry to get it. I'll typically start looking several months in advance of the purchase, and I almost always buy used. I put together my entire system, except the HDTV, from items purchased off Audiogon.

I did, however, just purchase an Oppo 983 brand new from Oppo. It will be interesting to see if it bests the Denon 3910 I just sold. Boy did I ever have seller's remorse over that piece! I sure hope the Oppo justifies that sale...

-RW-
I'll make impulse purchases just to try out the latest thing; most recently a pair of Usher S-520s, a Bel Canto dac2 and an Oppo 980. I listened to the Ushers for a while just for a change and sold them at very little loss. The Oppo and dac2 will stay until I need to sell them for some other interesting piece. This is part of the hobby for me but most of the mainstays in my system are a couple years old now. I have no desire to change them out as they are very musically satisfying to me.
If I can keep everything static for 6 months, I am doing good. I just can't help thinking there is something out there that is better than what I have. Cables, power conditioner, etc. I have had my speakers for about 5 years now. That is the record for me. It's a sickness, I know. But I'm not complaining, it could be worse.
Well to qualify my reply I am broke...dead broke!

But all the same I have at times day dreamed over this speaker or that amp and that cart with this table but I find myself at a point where I am really happy over all and dont waste time dreaming of unobtainable gear. The largest reason I think I have changed is now I have my own room so everything performs at a level I'd never heard before. I do still read all mags and peak at ad's and manuals online and attend shows but more of curiousity than a dream plan.
I've had my amp and CDP for approx. 1 year... speakers and preamp are relatively new additions, going on 3 months. I'm low on $$$ right now, so I'll make an occassional small purchase ($300 or so) on tube rolling till I get another large infusion of cash in the form of my annual bonus or tax refund in 2009. If money were not a constraint, I'd probably be making significant component changes every 4 to 6 months or so. I typically like to move up vs. just making lateral moves in terms of quality and price. I'm satisfied that my system has come a very long way in the last 3 or 4 years that I've been serious about this hobby.