McIntosh 252 or 275 for my B&W 804s?

I currently run a Rotel setup for my 804s, in stereo. I'm looking into upgrading amp OR preamp first. I've been reading about McIntosh & B&W and like what I see.

I was at my dealer a couple days ago and heard 804s driven by an MC275, C220, and a Mac CD player. I was just blown away. Granted, every component was several setps up from my current Rotel setup, but boy did it sound different!! Unfortunately they didn't have a 252 or 402 for me to audition, so would appreciate your input:
- Thoughts of 275 vs. 252 with 804s?
- Thoughts of 252 vs. 402? I've seen people commenting they didn't hear a whole lot of difference, yet the 402 is supposed to have 6 dB lower floor noise level. Plus the added control. I sure don't need more than 200W in terms of volume.
- If going for McIntosh, should I upgrade pre or amp first?
- Could use all solid state, all tubes, or mix. Thoughts about mixing tubes and solid state?

I'm back home listening to my system...I do miss what I heard these speakers do!!

Thanks in advance for the input!
lewinskih01
Although I have heard McIntosh driving some Thiels at a friend's place, I don't have much experience with the amps. Anyway as for your 3rd and 4th questions:-

- If you are going for McIntosh, you should upgrade the amps first as the amp/speaker interface is more important than the preamp/amp interface.

- I have an SS amp and tube preamp. No problems in mixing tubes and solid state.

Others may have different opinions.

Cheers.
I know all those McIntoshes very well and used to own a pair of 804s myself. McIntosh is about the best choice for B&W IMO. Your ears heard right! I used my 804s with a MC7200 and C42.

Between a 252 or a 275, the choice should be made based on your current room. If it isn't very large (say ~200sqft) then the 275 is the better choice. if your room is a good bit larger than that, the 252 will be needed to make sure you get enough bass development. The 275 is a very fine amp but the 804s love power. However you don't need to go all the way to 400Wpc with 804s IMO.

Definitely upgrade amp first. The 804 is very critical of amplifiers.

You should also consider the McIntosh MA7000 and MA2275 integrateds. They are absolutely sublime and can be split if you want to get separates later.

I think tubes in the system are a must - especially with a digital source. Check out the C220. It is a perfect mate to either the 275 or 252.

Arthur
I heard a the B&W 802's paired with the Mac 6900 integrated as well as the MAC C45/252. It was the best I ever heard from B&W speakers. The 252 played the speakers so loud with no distortion that I kept turning it up without realizing I was blasting every one out of the very large showroom.

B&W and MAC was so good I wanted to see how I could afford this upgrade. I've been told that the Classe /B&W combo is also killer, as B&W owns Classe and uses their electonics for testing their speakers. But I still remember that the MAC/B&W was the best combo of drive, finesse, detail, and musicality I ever heard. It did everything well and I want it.
Thank you all for the input.

So I'll upgrade the amp first. All of you agree with that. This narrows the options, which is very helpful.

Arthur: my room is actually large, 450 sqft. This would suggest the 252, per your comments. What's your opinion about 2 bridged 275? Doubles the power but also doubles the distortion, I'm told. And what about the 252 + a sub? I've been considering a Rel Storm III as well. I understand these integrate pretty well with B&W driven by solid state, but would it be the same if driven by tubes?

In terms of pre I was considering the Tact 2.2XP because of it's room correction capabilities, which are said to be really something. This would allow for tubes + ss pre.

Thanks a lot!