McIntosh 252 or 275 for my B&W 804s?

I currently run a Rotel setup for my 804s, in stereo. I'm looking into upgrading amp OR preamp first. I've been reading about McIntosh & B&W and like what I see.

I was at my dealer a couple days ago and heard 804s driven by an MC275, C220, and a Mac CD player. I was just blown away. Granted, every component was several setps up from my current Rotel setup, but boy did it sound different!! Unfortunately they didn't have a 252 or 402 for me to audition, so would appreciate your input:
- Thoughts of 275 vs. 252 with 804s?
- Thoughts of 252 vs. 402? I've seen people commenting they didn't hear a whole lot of difference, yet the 402 is supposed to have 6 dB lower floor noise level. Plus the added control. I sure don't need more than 200W in terms of volume.
- If going for McIntosh, should I upgrade pre or amp first?
- Could use all solid state, all tubes, or mix. Thoughts about mixing tubes and solid state?

I'm back home listening to my system...I do miss what I heard these speakers do!!

Thanks in advance for the input!
lewinskih01

Showing 1 response by ryder

Although I have heard McIntosh driving some Thiels at a friend's place, I don't have much experience with the amps. Anyway as for your 3rd and 4th questions:-

- If you are going for McIntosh, you should upgrade the amps first as the amp/speaker interface is more important than the preamp/amp interface.

- I have an SS amp and tube preamp. No problems in mixing tubes and solid state.

Others may have different opinions.

Cheers.