What is a passive preamp?

My impression, it`s a linestage pre. without a phono section, and/or tone controls. Is this correct?
pmm
Actually "preamplifier" Means, "an amplifier before" something else, just as "pre-driver" means a transistor or tube that drives (provides a gain stage) before an output stage. Obviously- A preamplifier would be placed BEFORE a power amplifier, and provide gain for signals too weak to drive an amplifier on their own. Having a phono stage has nothing to do with it being termed a, "preamplifier", as a phono stage is a pre-preamplifier in and of itself(providing gain and EQ to industry standards). Whether it provides gain or not has EVERYTHING to do with the term. No unit can correctly be termed, "passive" and "preamplifier" at the same time, as passive connotes, "not active," as in, "no active circuitry." That would be an oxymoron(like "jumbo shrimp", "freezer burn", "deafening silence"). Most signal sources(CD players, tuners, tape decks, etc.) can provide sufficient line-level voltage(1.5V to 2V+) to properly drive the amplifier of average gain/sensitivity to a satisfactory output level(subjectively). HOWEVER: recorded material varies widely in the level with which it's recorded. While my CD player will put out up to 2.5V balanced, some material I have(some Sheffield Labs, MFSL) was recorded at a level so low that it is not listenable without gain(thus my giving up my Placette Passive Linestage and returning to active pre-amplification). "Linestage" connotes providing the ability to switch between sources, and again- to contain circuitry that provided voltage/current gain to the signal(which necessitates a power supply) precludes it from being, "passive." Tone controls/equalizers can be passive or active, again depending on whether they contain a power supply(active circuit) to provide gain within their bandwidth, or all passive(resistors, capacitors, inductors) components. Some passives have a power supply to facilitate a remote control, but there's no connection within the signal path. I'm certain this little treatise will generate a multitude of replies by those that enjoy engaging in semantic gymnastics. Of course: The dictionary has been ammended to contain things like, "ain't" and "irregardless" to cater to those that know no better. I'll pass on that game as well.
I want to thank each one of you for their response and explanations. Very informing! Although, I did not mean to start a debate. Each one of you has made a good point, especially Unsound. Yes, Herman, I agree with you: that general term is used so often by the manuf.& Audio media, that, when one hears or reads the desc. "passive",without explanation, the uninformed is left with a vague understanding.
Herman, you are wrong. A real preamp contains a phono stage. Look at Audio Research for example. None of their linestages are called a preamps unless there is a phono stage.

From the Audio Research Data Base:
pre·am·pli·fi·er (prmpl-fr)

Preamplifier is the name applied to the first amplifier in the audio chain, accepting inputs from low output sources such as CD players, tape recorders, turntables, etc. The preamplifier increases the input signals from tape-level, for instance, to line-level.

line stage (ln stj)

A line stage is a preamplifier without a phono section.
C'mon, guys, this is silly . . . terminological snobbery does not endear people to our hobby. I'm personally happy with the term "passive preamp", but it's not because of any ignorance of what's going on inside the box. It's for the same reason that I don't correct somebody if, for example, I ask for a Kleenex and somebody hands me a box of Puffs.

The term "preamp" in audio, for at least 50 years, has most often meant "the thing with selector knobs and a volume control that goes between sources and power amplifiers". So thusly, a "passive preamp" is most commonly understood to be one of these things, that performs its functions with passive components only . . . the big indicator being that it has no power cable or batteries. They are for "line-level" (IHF 250mV) sources only, and generally work best in systems that have high gain power amps and/or sensitive speakers.

A "preamp" does not require a phono stage to keep its name . . . this has been true for many years. Remember that tape-playback preamps at one point migrated from the "preamp" to the tape deck? Yet nobody demands that we call a Revox A77 an "integrated deck-preamp" or whatever. Likewise, if somebody owns a "passive preamp", and they want to play records . . . they must ask for a "phono preamp" or a "phono stage" if they want the proper thing. Simply asking for a "preamp" will most likely not do.

I think that even those who scoff at the term still know exactly what one is . . .