Herron VTSP 2 or First Sound PreAmps

I am considering going towards a tube pre-amp and the two pre-amps that i am considering to match my McCormack DNA 225 Mono blocks (upgraded by Steve) are the Herron's and First Sound.

I am looking towards getting more separation among players and instruments as well good overall tonal balance with more body.

my current set-up gives me quite a bit of all this at the moment but it is on the lean side.

I am traditionally a SS person but after hearing a friend's set up with tubes...i am now thinking of a tube pre.

I have heard the Herron at CES but not the First Sound...has anyone paired either of the units to McCormack gear...are both these brands at the same level of sound quality...

Also in terms of maintenance of these tube units...which is a better bet.

the rest of my system may be seen when you click on system.

Thanks for sharing...
teck5
Teck5, do you feel any closer to choosing between the two? I get the feeling that you are not going to get a definitive answer; there proabably isn't one, as they both seem to be very well thought of.
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback....I am putting this on hold for the moment as i have put my system in storage..

I amp moving apartments and my new place will be ready in June....I will be building a dedicated room 20' x 17' x 9' (estimated)....

Once this room is ready, then i will continue with the chase for a tube pre....also, where i am at, there is a Herron dealer but no First Sound dealer...

I do come to the US often, especially to Seattle so i may pay First Sound a visit to get a possible voicing...I dont think they will offer an overseas trial...sigh...

I heard the Herron VSTP 3 at CES 08 and thought that the Herron room was really good...so i am hopeful for the Herron...but as you all know...there is that itch and what if...with the First Sound..
Teck5, what did you end up buying?

I owned both the First Sound Presence Deluxe MkII and the Herron, and frankly, the FS, as excellent as it is, was just not my cuppa tea.

I absolutely LOVED my Herron VTSP 1a-166 and the 3 is even better! If I could afford it I'd have a 3 and Herron mono amps and never look around again.
hi Rackon,

I bought the FM Acoustics 155 pre-amp.

The headroom, transient speed, space between players amongst others is just great.

When funds permit, will be moving up the ladder.