dehavilland ultraverve preamp with ss amp

Anyone have experience with this combo. I recently tried ultraverve with mccormack dna 1. While I enjoyed alot about the ultraverve, found the combo to overemphasize the mid to upper bass. I haven't heard this in either component before, ultraverve with dehavilland amp or mccormack with ss preamp. ? whether tube rolling dehavilland would help or just not a good match and why. The midrange with this combo was fantastic though. Appreciate any info-thanks- Joe
jbhorn
i have auditioned the ultraverve in my own stereo system.
i did not find the pre amp tube-like ar all. it sounds a lot like a ss preamp.

try a ss preamp with the mccormack.
I use the Ultraverve with a Bryston 14bsst and find it very warm and detailed. I totally disagree with Mrtennis. In fact, everyone who has listened to my system is amazed by the full soundstage and naturalness of the system. This question has been asked before and almost all responding concurred with my experience regarding the Ultraverve and ss amps. I highly recommend it.
Any suggestion regarding the mid to upper bass prominence? Speakers are cremona auditors which are not prone to this. Is this something that cables or tube rolling might address? Thanks.
Jbhorn, Kara at deHavilland will tell you that experimenting with 6sn7 tubes with her preamp is akin to trying different wines. Of all the tweaks I have made to my system, the ones that were immediately the most audible were from trying the many differing vintage 6sn7 tubes. By the way, the vintage tubes are, without question, much better than any of the new 6sn7 tubes...at least for this preamp! For example, the Raytheon wgt's have a punchier bass but a slightly softer top end...the tung sol round plates lack a bit of bass punch but are the most true across the whole spectrum...IMHO. So, in answer to your question...yes, tube rolling with the deHavilland Ultraverve can make huge sonic changes in your system's overall sound signiture. Please email me for more info on 6sn7 tubes and any other questions you might have concerning this preamp, etc. I have had mine for about three years. I can't comment on you particular speakers though (I have B&W 802d's).
we all hear differently. if two audiophiles listen to the same stereo system, there will be three descriptions of the sound.

i have heard the ultraverve in my own system and with other dehavilland products. i stand by my description. it is likely that someone else in the same wroom with me would have a different assessment, which illustrates the problem of eliciting opinions.