Anybody Felt Lower-End ARC preamps Bass-Shy?

Any folks here who upgraded their lower-range Audio Research preamps to better ones and noticed a considerable improvement in the bass department? I own the LS-16 and thought the bass doesn't go to deep. Will the LS25 or LS26 have much better bass compared to the LS-16?

Thanks in advance.
ryder
Hi Audphile, I suppose you won't have any problems driving the N803's with the X250.5 since it's a powerful 250W amp that can run into 4 ohms load. I will most definitely get a 2nd Plinius amp and run my speakers full-range but the sub still needs to be there since the PMC's are limited to 35Hz only, and there's a lot of low bass missing.

Off-topic. I just recently listened to some Marten Duke speakers driven by Gryphon Tabu amp. The highs on the Marten Duke is better with a cleaner and more refined sound(due to the ceramic tweeter that extends to 40kHz) but midrange down to the bass the PMC's are better to my ears. Not too bad since the Dukes can buy 2 pairs of my speakers. I think I'll be sticking with my speakers for a while.
Ryder, it depends on what kind of music you're listening to. For example, the lowest note on acoustic double-bass is 40hz. Lowest note on the piano is 28hz.
With PMC speakers you may still be able to reproduce 28hz. I don't know how they roll off.
Run some test tones to hear how deep they go. But wher I do see you need a sub is that the PMC may simply lack the cabinet volume to have a lot of bass impact. But as far as playing a certain low frequency, they may do fine.

Check out this interesting chart
Audphile, thanks for the link. I never thought piano notes could go that low. I've just had a quick check on my piano and have to say that most music does not go past the lowest natural D note at 37 Hz. Most low piano notes are in the region of 40Hz and above.

Not too sure about organ though but I don't think I have any music on organ. I don't see any category for 'drums' but if double-bass has covered that then I think I'm fine.

Anyway I'll see how well the PMC will perform in full-range when I feed them with more power. I agree that the lack of cabinet volume will affect bass impact to a certain degree but the current speakers are just right for my room size. Bigger floorstanders will not be too ideal
I know. It's not in every piano piece that the lower notes come into play, but if you have a chance to pick up Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor, the opening has a seven octave descent all the way to the lowest note. It's a great piece of music. If you don't own it, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, good luck and please update this thread if you can when you get everything in place. I'm curious how the PMCs will do full range. Dynaudio drivers are usually very competent.
The Bromberg Wood recording is a powerhouse onto its own and will make any system sound like it has incredible bass. It should never be used to determine the bass capabilities of components, except as an ultimate satisfaction test.

Caution: Be very careful with this recording. If a system is not capable of loud dynamics and deep bass, you could blow the woofers! Especially on the Beetle's Come Together.