Lightspeed Attenuator - Best Preamp Ever?

The question is a bit rhetorical. No preamp is the best ever, and much depends on system context. I am starting this thread beacuase there is a lot of info on this preamp in a Music First Audio Passive...thread, an Slagle AVC Modules...thread and wanted to be sure that information on this amazing product did not get lost in those threads.

I suspect that many folks may give this preamp a try at $450, direct from Australia, so I thought it would be good for current owners and future owners to have a place to describe their experience with this preamp.

It is a passive preamp that uses light LEDs, rather than mechanical contacts, to alter resistance and thereby attenuation of the source signal. It has been extremely hot in the DIY community, since the maker of this preamp provided gernerously provided information on how to make one. The trick is that while there are few parts, getting it done right, the matching of the parts is time consuming and tricky, and to boot, most of use would solder our fingers together if we tried. At $450, don't bother. It is cased in a small chassis that is fully shielded alloy, it gets it's RF sink earth via the interconnects. Vibration doesn't come into it as there is nothing to get vibrated as it's passive, even the active led's are immune as they are gas element, no filaments. The feet I attach are soft silicon/sorbethane compound anyway just in case.

This is not audio jewelry with bling, but solidly made and there is little room (if any) for audionervosa or tweaking.

So is this the best preamp ever? It might be if you have a single source (though you could use a switch box), your source is 2v or higher, your IC from pre-amp to amp is less than 2m to keep capaitance low, your amp is 5kohm input or higher (most any tube amp), and your amp is relatively sensitive (1v input sensitivity or lower v would be just right). In other words, within a passive friendly system (you do have to give this some thought), this is the finest passive preamp I have ever heard, and I have has many ranging form resistor-based to TVCs and AVCs.

In my system, with my equipment, I think it is the best I have heard passive or active, but I lean towards prefering preamp neutrality and transparency, without loosing musicality, dynamics, or the handling of low bass and highs.

If you own one, what are your impressions versus anything you have heard?

Is it the best ever? I suspect for some it may be, and to say that for a $450 product makes it stupidgood.
pubul57
Since the resistor changes with the amount of light, could I open the case and use a light bulb with a remote dimmer to change the volume?
Many thanks George and Clio09. I'm going to give the Lightspeed attenuator a go. This is fantastic thread. I agree with the above that is is quite noteworthy that Both Arthur Salvatore and Roger Modjeski are in agreement that with the appropriate system an active line stage would be inferior to a passive volume control. I intend to store my Adcom 5802 amp (horrors...transistors,Feh!)and get a Music Reference RM 10 MkII also. I anticipate it and the Lightspeed will be a great upgrade. Cheers all.
Tompoodie,

Music Reference RM-10 + Lightspeed Attenutor = Depends

Don't forget to get a box of those as well before listening to this combination. This is one of the most enjoyable amp/preamp combos I have ever experienced.

BTW - Roger has a few RM-10 MkII amps left at the $1450 price. A great deal only bettered by being able to find one used in near new condition.
I agree Anthony, as enjoyable as several $10-$20,000 combos I had here over the past 5-7 years. With the right speakers, the LS-A/RM10 combo($2,400 list)is incredibly good and competitive with just about any pre/amp combo out there, at any price.
06-16-10:
Koestner:George, Are you, or could you, consider making a fully balanced version with some sort of remote volume function?:Koestner

I'll put it up again, Paul got it almost all.
To do a balanced version takes exponentially more matching time and is exponentially more critical, then if that was achieved, to calibrate it would be exponentially more critical and then it will only stay in calibration a few days.
I have customers that have balanced systems they just use 4 x balanced to rca adaptors on the back of the Lightspeed Attenuator.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?keywords=rca+to+XLR&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=18&SUBMIT.y=5

After all balanced is only needed if you run extra long interconnects, single ended actually sounds better because of the lack of opamps in the signal path to achieve the balanced signal, and in the end lets face it, the speaker is also only single ended as it run only a + and a - back to the amp and that negative on the back of the amp is at ground potential.

Cheers George