Tube rolling, Macintosh MC275 Mk IV

But first, I just got the following email from a friend with a new Mk IV (driving Vantages) who had just tried a few NOS 12AX and 12AT tubes I mailed him (he knows who he is ;--)
WOW, I was not prepared for what I was hearing, the first thing that came to my mind was"snap" the music came at me with an energy that was not there before. I soon realize that the music was a lot more dynamic. Meaning there was more treble energy yet still maintain a quality that was silky smooth. Yes there was more detail and nuances that was not previous heard. I wanted to go through my favorite recordings to hear what I have been missing. There is further separation between instruments with ample amounts of air that only enhances the listening experience. In other words I like it, I will listen more tonight and tell you about the improvements. I can see why tube rolling can be fun
I've done some extensive listening/rolling, and have included friends and neighbors in the project -- some with even better hearing than I. Here are my/our conclusions from tubes (including the stock tubes) actually auditioned so far. All twin triode tubes (AX's and AT's) had matched triodes. All pairs of tubes (AT's and KT88's) were matched as well:

12AX7
RCA -- 1957 smoothplate, blackplate, longplate (new, tested over 100%)
Amperex -- Orange Globe, made in Harleen Holland (tested 95%)
Telefunken -- Smoothplate, greyplate (tested 90%)
Mullard -- not included (yet)
12AT7
RCA -- 1957 ribbed, greyplate (new, tested over 100%)
Amperex -- not included (yet)
Telefunken -- ribbed, greyplate (new, tested over 100%)
Mullard -- tried, but not fully A-B'd
KT88
Penta Labs -- KT88SC, new matched quad, (tested over 100%)
GE UK -- NOS: GEC, Genalex, Gold Lion/Monarch (not yet, maybe one day soon if I'm lucky)

Tube groups were rotated in all possible (at this time) combinations, using the Diane Schure/Count Basie Orch. GRP-LP, Track: "Travelin' Light". (system link below.) It was fun. Tedious, but fun! There were some combos that were very close sonically, but the unanimous, winning configuration (after many, many "let me hear that agains") was:

12AX7: RCA -- 1957 smoothplate, blackplate, longplate
12AT7: Telefunken -- ribbed, greyplate
KT-88: Penta Labs -- KT88SC, solid plate, 3-getter

Better than a MC275 MKIV, with stock tubes, out of the box? You have absolutely NO IDEA !! If you want to give it a try, this will save you some time and money; at the very least, give you an excellent place to start ;--)
128x128nsgarch
I know this is a '275 thread but I wanted to share some of my anecdotal experience regarding tube rolling in Mac gear.

But first...
I was at the dealer and we unpacked the large MA2275 first to make sure everything worked. Then the dealer and I started inserting the 12ax7/t7 tubes into the sockets. We didn't know at the time that we placed the 12aT7 into the 12aX7 sockets and vice-versa for the other 12aT7 sockets... we didn't know at first and we listened for a few hours... we (including the other salespersons) were marveling at the sound and then a customer came in, looked at the amp and said, "hey you got the toobs wrong!" D'oh! After all that, there was no apparent damage to the circuit or the tubes as far as we could tell.. the resident technician yelled at us and then also marvelled at the lack of damage (and the good sound).
So we re-read the labels this time ;-) and re-inserted the tubes the correct way. More listening ensued and lots of customers drooled over the sound of this integrated amp. This was the first 2275 the dealer had ever ordered so it was a special treat for us to actually unpack and audition it at the store ;-)

... So the folks at Mac gave me the same story: "Tube rolling is futile..." Of course I was more tempted then ever to try rolling some KT88s. So out came the Mac toobs and in went some beautiful JJ KT88s kidnapped from my Cary Rocket 88.

Normally I'm open minded when it comes to these matters, and I was prepared to believe either side. Would Mac be right or would audiophiles save the day? To be honest I didn't really want to hear ANY differences because (selfishly) I didn't want to take my Rocket 88's tubes out of service in my other system. Also, I was very satisfied with the sound from the 2275 so why bother...

Well! I'd be darned if I didn't hear a significant difference from the JJ tubes. The most significant difference was a more extended, impactful bass. The soundstaging was a bit deeper and the highs slightly more extended. Wow! I was expecting at the most some small differences in tonality, but not of this magnitude.

I haven't even begun to roll some 12axxx tubes yet, and I'm sure there will be some sonic differences as well. The bottom line is that there ARE discernible sonic differences between tubes when rolled in Mac gear, just like any other piece of gear.

best,
-Greg
mullard cv4004's and cv4024's go very well with my Mac2102's. Takes away a little of the sizzle from the stk Chinese tubes and maintains great transparency
Downunder, I'm currently A-B'ing some Mullards and Telefunkens in the 12AT7 positions (see original post) and I'll report back. They seem very nice and open -- it might be a toss-up. We'll see (I mean, hear!)
gentlemen:

there is a question regarding the compatibility of other 12 volt tubes with the 275 circuit. i believe that a 12ay7 could substitute for a 12ax7. what about a 12au7, might that work in lieu of a 12at7 ?

is anyone willing to try a 12ay7 and/or 12au7 ??
i realize this is partially off topic, but i substituted a pair of 12ay7 for the 12ax7 in the c220 preamp. i also substituted a pair of 12au7 for the 12ax7 in the same preaamp. the preamp did not blow up and the tubes were not damaged. in fact i preferred the 12ay7 to the 12ax7.