MC402 vs FPB 300cx

Anyone have any insight here...These are two amps I am considering going for, but have a little concern leaving Krell. I have read alot on both, most of the information on the FPB I am familiar, and I am familiar with the Krell sound. The Mc402 however seems to get some commentary in the Bass area, lackthereof. I love the bass slam of my Krell, and I love the detail of it. Is MAC way off in terms of sound signature? Does the 402 give slam, or does it roll?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.
jc51373
Cool thanks for all the help...the fact you have played with all this stuff and have experience has been a tremendous help to me. And you are spot-on with all your comments. thank you!

I sold my 804Ns today, so they are on their way out, and I am going to save on the side for the 803Ds instead of using plastic-you get a better deal with cash anyway. Should have the remaining amount in about a month! Not bad right? Please, tell me it's not bad, cause I feel like I am going to go certifiably crazy without my music. Will definately be a withdrawal period.

PS-listened to the Aerial 9s today. Very nice speaker, nothing like a B&W. Very neutral, very unexciting looking and sounding-which is not necessarily a bad thing t be neutral. They did sound very nice though, but something about B&W has me hook line and sinker-no matter what I listen to. Also, I was all but done with this dealer when they told me a 803D has the same sound as an 802D, except less bass. They sound very different to me, and most others agree. They said they didn't even feel it was necessary to show the 803D. I almost laughed out loud, and I bet B&W would love to hear that. : )
I think you made the right choice. You obviously liked the speakers a lot, so....

It's also a good thing to take a break from this for a while. Usually works for me. I get to appreciate the capabilities of the system once everything is back in place. I had no amplifier for almost 2 months at one point. It's tough, but it's not bad.

803Ds should be lots of fun!
Keep us posted.
In response to the McIntosh producing power into impedance. The 400 WPC into 8,4,or 2 ohms is a manufacturer published MINIMUM. Dynamic specs are not published and I verified this with a McIntosh Rep who assured me the 402 was capable of far more than it's faceplate nomenclature, especially when driving into descending impedances. All other comparisons aside between the Krell and The Mac, this particular point of contention is completely false. Although they may have different outputs into those impedances, stop at 400 the MC402 does not...
10-01-07: Mhelming
... Although they may have different outputs into those impedances, stop at 400 the MC402 does not...
Mhelming

Oh yeah? Where does it stop then? At 402?

Based on what I heard from this amplifier and its capabilities of driving a difficult load, I even doubt it makes 300w/ch so whatever that McIntosh rep said, I'd divide by 2(into 4) and by 4(into 2 ohms).