Has anyone upgraded their preamp with V-caps?

I am interested in hearing about anyone's experience with upgrading their preamps with V-caps (in the output circuit). They are very expensive, i.e. 600.00 for two 2.0uF. I have heard that they are amazing caps and make a huge audio improvement, particularly in the bass and midrange.
jppenn
Jppenn -> you are right. Using multiple V-Caps may have a cumulative effect on sound quality.

Atma -> I agree that you can DESIGN an excellent amp around V-Caps. Simple cap swapping is a different story.
I second Atmasphere's comments.

V-cap upgrades in my MP-3 pre and M-60 amps have improved the sound far more than any tube rolling (and I've tried many different tubes).

That said, even V-caps do not alter system sound nearly as much as a synergistic component (i.e.source/pre/amp/loudspeaker) change, but that's stating the obvious - I hope!
I might do this later this month. Bob Backert is once again working over my preamp. He did an astounding job last time and now he's adding a new power supply of his own design.

We talked about the V-Caps and he said they are a definite improvement, at least "10 percent."

We're going to add the power spply first and then see about the V-Caps. I might want the preamp back for a long listen before doing too much at once.
In your Musical design SP-2B preamp, what value of the V-Cap teflon did you use?
Currently, we use V-Caps in the phono stage of our preamp. Capacitors are still indispensable for the RIAA decoding process, so we make sure that high quality parts execute this delicate task. We have found that the Teflon V-Caps are one of the best two or three parts we have tested in this application. They give us a very accurate and detailed sound, with low coloration.

In our case, the V-Caps are connected in parallel (not in series) with the signal path, in order to maintain the direct coupling intact throughout the entire preamp. If only there was a way to eliminate these caps however, I wouldn't hesitate! For the moment, they have gained a place here.

Regarding the use of V-Caps for non-direct coupled preamps, I see no reason why they shouldn't represent a step above other capacitors (polypropylene, oil & paper, etc.) when used for interstage coupling. In this case, there is a compromise you must be aware of: The bigger the capacitor you use, the better bass you will obtain, but also the less transparency you will have. The optimal value will depend on the circuit's elements, but using less than 1 uF makes sense to me.

All in all, if you have the $$$, go get them.

Regards,