A mistake spending too much on amplification?

I was wondering if I screwed up by spending too much money on amplification? I have been upgrading my amp/preamp for awhile now (I started with a CODA Unison, then upgraded to a McCormack DNA-125 and EE Minimax, then to a Herron pre, and now mating that with Sixpacs). And, although there are subtle improvements, I am not hearing any night/day improvements, even when I go back to the CODA. And the CODA is much cheaper!

Does this mean I outpaced my speakers? Kind of like putting a supercharged turbo engine in a car with bald tires? Speakers are VS VR2's and Soliloquy 6.3's. Anyone have a good estimation on amplification costs relative to speaker costs? Sell the better amplification; use the money to buy better speakers?
chiho
You've got some good speakers. Why don't you really upgrade your amps and get a pair of Herron M150 monoblocks to match your pre-amp?
The Sixpacs are crazy good on their own, and unbelievable with the right preamp. I have Sixpacs driven by the companion AES DJH, and am continually impressed by the sound of the two together. Perhaps your Herron preamp is not the best match with the Sixpacs.

Narrod above states there are no night/day differences between various components, and any differences will be subtle. This may be true, but when components have true synergy, you'll know it! I personally believe amplification (including the pre) should be one of your absolute strongest suites (along with AC power and the room itself). Speakers and sources are secondary in my world.
BOA2 says,

"The fact is there are significant variations from one component to the next"

It is certainly a strongly held opinion by many but is not and, in my opinion, cannot be proven as "fact". I've been in this hobby a very long time and experience tells me that quality components are much more alike than different.

This does not mean that the differences aren't important. In many cases they certainly can impact how a given listener responds to a given component. Night/Day? I don't think so.