Threshold T200?

I'm auditioning a Threshold T200 amp. Not a lot of slam, but for what I listen to -- mostly classical and jazz -- it sounds great.

It's hard to find anything about this amp online, as the company went under, then resurrected under new ownership.

Any issues with this amp? Should I take the plunge?
qualia8
Detailed, detailed, detailed,
A slightly analytical touch, I've since gone to toobs so have a slight sand bias.

Slam is not the forte, excuse the pun of the Threshold stuff, that's for Krell, but I can't listen to a Krell for long, where as the T-holds are --- well let's put it like this. I still own one. I had the T3i pre-amp, and swaped it for the BAT gained smooth, lost detail. The amp stays.

loon
$1400 is a bit high for a T200, IMHO. I'll bet you can knock at least $200 off the price. AgoN bluebook values are not always a very good measuring stick.

As for the new Threshold rebuilds, they change all the transistors from the IGBT's to regular bi-polars, and from reports that I've heard, also change the sound. Slightly more dynamic and transparent, but less rich and sweet I'm told. I can't confirm this, but those are the choices one faces.

Sonically, for <$1500, I don't think you can beat the sound of a T200 with a SS amp. The IGBT issue may be disconcerning, but they sure do sound fabulous.

Cheers,
John
Rumour has it that the original IGBT transitors were obsoloete, but, there are newwer, better ones avialable now. Should one need a replacement, a complete rebuild may (I suspect this is the case) or may not be necessary. This should keep the performance of the original more similar than a change to a duifferent transistor technology, it may even improve upon it. The issue might be moot, the IGBT's have a reputation for being pretty robust and reliable. I would guess the caps might need to be replaced long before the IGBT, which would probably be the case regardless of the output technology.
> IGBT transitors were obsolete

I find it hard to believe that in a world where vacuum tubes that haven't been in production for 50 years are still available on the NOS (new old stock) market that there will be any serious problem repairing the amp if that need arises.