Which Tube Phono Stage around $1k?

I'm looking for a phono stage to mate with my Linn LP12/Ittok arm and a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge. The line stage is a VTL 6.5. In the under $1k range, the Underwood Level 1 mod of the Jolida JD9a looks promising at $800. Totally stretching my budget would be a used or demo Audio Research PH5, but maybe someone can convince me that it's worth the stretch. A similar stretch might be a used Cary 302. Any comment on these or others I should consider? I'm pretty much dead set on tubes. I'll have to hear a really convincing endorsement to consider anything solid state! Thanks
pscialli
I see what you mean Denf, the P5 is stuffed full of good stuff.

How quiet is the P5 when compared to the 834p? The 834p I had in my system was whisper quiet, maybe the step up transformers?

Anyone hear the Blue Circle phono stage, the BC27pi?
Hagtech (Jim right?), if things work out I'll be auditioning your Trumpet phono stage in my system next week. I am anxiously counting the days!
Dlwask - I'm running the Hagerman Trumpet in my system now using a K&K step-up transformer. NOS RCA 12AU7 tubes and NOS Mullard 12AX7 tubes, both quads from the late '50s. I am very pleased with the performance.
Can anyone describe in some more detail the differences they have heard between the ARC PH3, BAT P-5, and EAR 834p?