Audio Horizons TP 2.0 Preamplifier

Anyone famaliar with the manufacturer,and in particular
this pre amp.The credentials and testimonials seem
impressive.The advertised 10 day audition is appealing.
markwatkiss
It looks as though the preamp is finally drawing a larger, much deserved recognition.

Gammajo and Ralphcast, congratulations and enjoy.
Any truth to remote rumor? Somewhere I read that a remote control is now available but I don't see it on the website. Is it true Victor?
I have his preamp with all the upgrades and a nice remote volume. It works great! Just got mine about two weeks ago and love it to death. It is the finest preamp I have ever heard.

I have owned many preamps in my reference system. I know a preamp can really make or break a system. It is, in my estimation, the real heart of a great sound system.

Here is a list of great preamps I have owned,

Thor
Tom Evan Vibe/Pulse
Audio Note M5
Wavac
Jeff Rowland Concerto
Tom Evans Soulmate (very nice indeed)
Bruce Moore
Aloia
Belles 21A
Sonic Frontiers Line 3
CJ premier 16 LS16 S2

The CJ , in my humble opinion, was the finest I have owned in my home. So musical and full of body and texture. It did this without losing detail.

Now enters Mr Chow's preamp. It bested the CJ in every single way. From top to bottom, from front to back and all over. Reaches higher, goes deeper with much more authority. Better focus and clarity. Stage size is about the same - realisitic and large in scale. The CJ is softer sounding with less instrument separation and less impact.

Now this is the result in my system, in my room, with my wire and my taste. My system consists of,

Proceed PMDT transport
Music Hall 25.2 highly modified transport
Audio Horizons transparancy cable/wire throughout
Audio Horizons 3.0 tubed dac with NOS's from Mr Chow
Dali Grand speakers on Sistrum platform
Belles 350A Reference amp (love it)
2 - BPT 2.0 balanced line conditioners - one for amps and one for digital
2 - dedicated 20 amp lines
Star Sound Sistrum rack for all gear - very nice and helps isolate vibrations very well.

My room is 26 X 20 with a generous amount of sound panals and bass traps with a concrete floor.

My wife is not an Aphile, but loves to listen with me. She also felt the AH preamp bested the CJ. The CJ has wonderful midrange and is silky smooth. The AH matched the CJ in the midrange, but the AH's highs were even smoother and much more extended and clear.

I love my AH dac and wanted the preamp, but a remote was a must. I ordered the 2.0 preamp as soon as Joseph was able to add remote as an option. I think it cost $300 for the remote option.

I just cannot say enough about his gear and his service. Many won't buy from a small, relatively unknown company, but if one is willing to try his preamp, I can't image it ever being returned.

I will not be selling his dac, wire or preamp for many, many years as I am totally satisfied and content. That is a miracle for Aphiles like myself - check my feedback - Ha!

The CJ is a world class unit in sound, looks and features. To some, its softer sound may be more pleasing. The CJ adds more midrange warmth to be sure. Again, some may like this over the more neutral AH presentation. To each his own.

To my taste the AH preamp just got me more involved in the music and performance. It sounded more live and less recorded.

Bill
One last point. I have been a audionut long enough to know that system synergy is everything. I do think Mr Chow's wire and dac have wonderful synergy with his own preamp.

The CJ may sound better in another system with different components and wire. I have experienced this fact myself over the years. I don't think it is possible to say one great piece of gear is better than another in ALL cases.
It has taken me a little while to learn this, but it has finally sunk-in.

The CJ unit retails for $8400 while the AH unit retails for $3600 - fully loaded like mine. Yes, the AH unit is very special indeed.

Bill