c-j technical questions

Does anyone know of any tests that show the power out-put of conrad-johnson's solid state power amplifiers into a 4 Ohm load. I'm particularly interested in the 2300, 2300A, 2500 and 2500A amplifiers. I'm also interested to know what the out-put impedance range preceding these amplifiers should be.
unsound
If they weren't clear,its for a reason,look for another amp.I have no CJ experience,but you know when people are confident and when there not...good luck,Bob
I own the MF2500 and have asked this question of CJ in the past. I was told that the MF2500 will put out 400 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load. I did not perceive any reluctance on the part of CJ to give me this information.
Thiel's are a great speaker but a demanding speaker! You may want to step up a notch or two on the amp and try to shoot for at least 300 wpc.
Unsound

I own Thiel 3.6's and my MF2500A had no problems driving them and sounded very good. I did upgrade to the premier 350 and obviuosly it does a better job in all aspects. But I would not be concerned about the 2500A driving your Thiels. Thiels are not nesessarily difficult to drive because their impedence curve, at least the 3.6's, is relatively flat. What makes them a challenge to drive and why they need current is because their impedence curve does dip below 2 ohms at least the 3.6's do over certain frequencies. Difficult loads are when impedence curves bounce all over the place creating a constantly changing load to the amplifier.

Having siad all this I would be more intersted in what the impedence curve of the 3.5 looks like as I am assuming it is similar to the 3.6 which may be a poor assumption. If you have not already I would contact Thiel and ask them.

Chuck
Chuck, Thiel rates the 3.5's as having a 4 Ohm nominal, 4 Ohm minimal load. I have seen two independent tests that both show this to be pretty accurate. Both tests show a slight peak at about 33 Hz where the impedance rises to between 8 and 10 Ohms and basicaly flat across 4 Ohms the rest of the way. The testers attributed the peak to the sealed box resonance. I agree with you that Thiel's present a constant steady load with out the peaks and valleys most speakers present. Most amplifiers appreciate this kind (of) load. That the 3.5's don't drop below 4 Ohms is even easier on amps. It's the demands of the equalizer that concerns me. I'm sure you are aware that your 3.6's dip into 2 Ohms will require an amps 8 Ohm rating to double down twice to provide the appropriate power. If I am corect in my assumption(?) the equalizer's 12 db push will require the amp to double out(?) 4 X to provide appropriate power. That might be like a -2 Ohm power requirement (not really, but you get the idea). If my assumptions are correct(?) then perhaps Thiels maximum recommendation, may be their best. I take that to mean 500 watts into 4 Ohms. C-J has quoted different opinons on their 4 Ohm rating to me at different times. Once it was "we don't offer 4 Ohm ratings on our solid state amps". Once it was "close to to doubling down". Once it was "close to 400 watts". Once it was "480 watts". Well what it is it? This inquiring mind would like to know. Mind you I have been using c-j solid state pre and power on Thiels CS 2's for years and have always recieved very good customer service from c-j. I don't have an axe to grind, I'd just like to have needed information to make informed choices.