McIntosh MC275 vs Conrad Johnson Premier 11A

Hello
I have a pair of Gallo Nucleus Reference speakers (the original version not the reference 3). I have been driving them with a Spectron Digital one amplifier. Last week I had the chance to try an old Mcintosh MC240 with my speakers and I think the sound was very sweet. Now I am considering get a tube amplifier. Any suggestions for a tube amp no more than $2K in the used market. I was looking at the McIntosh MC275 and the Conrad Johnson premier 11A. They are around 75 watts and are within my price range. The speakers are 4 ohms 90db/W/m. The rest of the system: Audible Illusions M3A preamp, Sony SACD/CD player and Sota Turntable. I listen mostly classical music and Jazz. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
fernando68
You have many more options in 40 watt land.I use an EAR intergrated 834 to run my german Odeon demi horns.I used tohave the Ref's as well and like Quad'57/63 owners who have bought and sold and re-bought the same spaker 4 or 5 times in a carreer of this madness I always wish I had kept mine but if I did I'd get bored or upset with their few weak points and want to change out again.It's changing out ITSELF I have a love hate relationship.Between the two models you have chosen tocompare I'd say you'd get better bass and a bit more dynamic slam out of the Mac amps and a more creamy midrange with the CJ's.Remember that in addition to the different manufacturer having different soundsfrom circut designs etc tubes themselves have different characteristics.EL34's used in my Conrad Johnson MV50 used EL34's which were great in mids but had less bass than say my Mesa which used utilitarian 6L6 tubes.Problem with CJ's tube amp[s IMHO is that they are npisier than other brands.EL34's are middle range in price for replacement and a favorite of folks who want to power two way moniotrs with good coherence and not a lot of bass demands (and would work well with the Gallo's).Many CJ's use EL34's.KT88's which if you check prices are more expensive to replace are worth it for many folks in either a 25 watt Mini Mite or a 300 watt monster beacuse they may not have that mid refinement but overall have greater bass and more dynamic slam that EL34's or 6550's which are among cheapest to replace.The 6550 is considered a good untilitarian tube which some deigners like and is supposed to be a pretty balanced tube say betwen the characteristics of the 34 or 88.Think you need to find a shop which has Acoustic Research,Cary,CJ,Mac etc and deice for yourself as difficult as it may be with somebody elses speakers (bring yours they are light!) or room and judge for yourself.In some it's like cheap turntables and CD players for say $500.The turnatable for it's adherents will blow away the CD unless you go to SACD format or get a $20K player.Tubes conversely have there weaknesses but as you all ready heard also psses there streengths that SS does not posses in it's harmonic presentation (good distortion if you will).But differnt amps AND tubes sound different.Your speakers don't need gobs of juice like say Maggies so you have choices (unless you are in va big room but you didn't mention it).set a power range of 40-75 watts go look at prices and sit down with what you can afford and listen.
G'luck
Chazz
Hello Fernando68 ,
I've had both in my system over the past 3 years driving AP Virgos (90Db/4ohm). My take seems to be a little different.
The CJ does midrange very well for a 6550 based amp, however it lacks bass drive and the highs are truncated in comparison to the Mc275. The CJ puts out no where near 70 watts in real world loads vs the McIntosh that puts out in excess of 75 watts on all taps. If you go for the McIntosh look for the newer model IV version of the amp .
Good luck
I'm not sure what you mean by "old MC275"? Are you talking about vintage or re-issue?

A vintage MC275 in top notch condition is actually more expensive than a CJ11A... And all the re-issues sound inferior to the original 275.

I have been using a CJ6550 for about a year. Replacing the factory stock 6550 with Svetlena KT88 improved the sound a lot - better dynamic, treble extension and midrange smoothness. Treble is not truncated in my setup (CJ17LS, Vienna Acooustic Beethoven + sequerra T1 tweeters).

Both amps are good and it's a personal taste after all. Since their resale value are quite high, it does not harm to try both. =D
Get a MC step up device. Because of my low sensitivity amp,
I had similar issue with SP-11 MKII with VDH MC cartridge ( 0.5mv )
Are you using dual mono mode on the MC240? The gain is much higher than stereo mode.