McIntosh MC275 vs Conrad Johnson Premier 11A

Hello
I have a pair of Gallo Nucleus Reference speakers (the original version not the reference 3). I have been driving them with a Spectron Digital one amplifier. Last week I had the chance to try an old Mcintosh MC240 with my speakers and I think the sound was very sweet. Now I am considering get a tube amplifier. Any suggestions for a tube amp no more than $2K in the used market. I was looking at the McIntosh MC275 and the Conrad Johnson premier 11A. They are around 75 watts and are within my price range. The speakers are 4 ohms 90db/W/m. The rest of the system: Audible Illusions M3A preamp, Sony SACD/CD player and Sota Turntable. I listen mostly classical music and Jazz. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
fernando68

Showing 1 response by zigstien

Hello Fernando68 ,
I've had both in my system over the past 3 years driving AP Virgos (90Db/4ohm). My take seems to be a little different.
The CJ does midrange very well for a 6550 based amp, however it lacks bass drive and the highs are truncated in comparison to the Mc275. The CJ puts out no where near 70 watts in real world loads vs the McIntosh that puts out in excess of 75 watts on all taps. If you go for the McIntosh look for the newer model IV version of the amp .
Good luck