McIntosh MC275 vs Conrad Johnson Premier 11A

Hello
I have a pair of Gallo Nucleus Reference speakers (the original version not the reference 3). I have been driving them with a Spectron Digital one amplifier. Last week I had the chance to try an old Mcintosh MC240 with my speakers and I think the sound was very sweet. Now I am considering get a tube amplifier. Any suggestions for a tube amp no more than $2K in the used market. I was looking at the McIntosh MC275 and the Conrad Johnson premier 11A. They are around 75 watts and are within my price range. The speakers are 4 ohms 90db/W/m. The rest of the system: Audible Illusions M3A preamp, Sony SACD/CD player and Sota Turntable. I listen mostly classical music and Jazz. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
fernando68

Showing 1 response by hklai

I'm not sure what you mean by "old MC275"? Are you talking about vintage or re-issue?

A vintage MC275 in top notch condition is actually more expensive than a CJ11A... And all the re-issues sound inferior to the original 275.

I have been using a CJ6550 for about a year. Replacing the factory stock 6550 with Svetlena KT88 improved the sound a lot - better dynamic, treble extension and midrange smoothness. Treble is not truncated in my setup (CJ17LS, Vienna Acooustic Beethoven + sequerra T1 tweeters).

Both amps are good and it's a personal taste after all. Since their resale value are quite high, it does not harm to try both. =D