Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
Audiolabyrinth, wow... I bet you've really been enjoying this, LOL! send for more popocorn now!!! Thank you for the kind comments regarding my post 3.7.13! And ditto the respect sir. You too Jmcgrogan, Frogman, Zd542 I enjoyed your comments also. Nonoise, you are a true poet! Props to you for the highly thoughtful posts well worded.

Is science capable of explaining the differences we hear in cables? Measurements do prove differences in cabling exists. There has been some real research done with things like current bunching & skin effect. Also characteristic impedance of cabling which involves series resistance and series inductance, shunt capacitance, shunt conductance, etc. Learn about the latest cable research if ya need some cable science so badly.

When most music/audio enthusiasts or musicians hear something like a cable improving the quality of the listening experience, do they care so much about the reasons why? No not really. One will buy it, build it, do it anyway just because it sounds "better" than before and they can hear the difference.

I suppose the cable no-believers can hear no audible difference between vacuum tubes either? Yet, tube rolling has become a popular sport! I guess there is NO reason for adding upgrade wiring, hi grade capacitors, higher quality resistors, connectors, binding post, etc to our hi-end components and speakers either... that's just hype too correct? Oh, and why would we ever send our beloved 62' Fender Telecaster out to the custom shop?? Why?? Finally, cable non-believers, why on earth would we ever do something like rewire a tonearm???

Because it sounds better now than it did before and we can hear the difference.

Cables are important, however you can get to 90% of the highest qualty with very small price if you are careful.
Measurements do prove differences in cabling exists. There has been some real research done with things like current bunching & skin effect. Also characteristic impedance of cabling which involves series resistance and series inductance, shunt capacitance, shunt conductance, etc. Learn about the latest cable research if ya need some cable science so badly.

Baloney. Current bunching? Skin effect is irrelevant at audio frequencies. You seem to be learning "science" from cable product marketing material.
Waxwaves, Thanks for the kind words.
Don't let 'em get you down.

All the best,
Nonoise
****....(and) "What a miracle it is that someone can reproduce something that is capable of touching our emotions" - Frogman.
My nomination for the Nobel Prize!!!!****. - Isochronism

Damn!! I am speechless; for a change. :-)