This might just be the end of brick and mortar

stores. Music direct just announced there 60 day return policy.
taters
I'm with Ctsooner -- good point!
Guess now what will happen with prices and with mark-up...
I'm fortunate enough to live in NY where there still exist a small number of "bricks and mortar " shops. The one that is most like the old days is Stereo Exchange in the city - walk right in, look around, listen, and they probably have it in stock to carry out. Pretty amazing considering the capital investment required to fund that sort of inventory these, or in those days.

I keep my audio and video interests apart. I appreciate the picture quality that today's flat screens offer, but I've found surround sound to be more annoying than enticing. I have to admit that I haven't bothered to purchase a true audiophile surround system, but I've never found it justifiable. On the other hand, I'm still chasing the two channel audio dragon going on 33 years now and I still enjoy it.
Zd 542, I totally disagree with you. They have a guy that works there named Bess. He probably knows more about analog than any other dealer in the country. I would bet music direct sells more turntables than the top 5 audio dealers in the country. Besides Bess they do have some other knowledgable phone reps. If you want to deal with reps that have no knowledge call Audio Advisor.
Music direct gives you a 30 day trial to try out the equipment and see if you are happy with it. Now they are offering you 60 days. I don't believe this has anything to do about warranty. I will call music direct tomorrow and ask them why they are now offering 60 day return policy. Then I will report back my findings.
Oblgny- I don't know if you remember what made the Stereo Exchange special in the early days- it was a bazaar of used high end- you could walk in and find the last flavor of the month at a decent price compared to retail or the usual discount. I bought tons of stuff from Dave in the old days- after the used market shifted to A-gon, the store lost that mojo. And, SE shifted to home theatre, as a lot of dealers did. I have fond memories of the place and used to enjoy some of the staff, who have moved on in different directions. I still speak to Dave occasionally- he is a good guy.