AudiogoN Inception Date?

Panning through old threads, I noticed a few members as early as late 98/early 99.

Emailed service a while back no answer, figured if anyone should know, they would.

When did all this start and who was the first poster(s)?
128x128rx8man
10-15-14: Jadem6
It must have been around 2002 or 03 that Arnie sold the business to investors, that was when ad fees came into place. They have increased ever since and have driven a few of us away from the site.

Thanks for the history lesson JD. I remember when they first started charging fees. It was still a great place for a long time.

I am one of those who have been driven away. I won't give them my credit card for their file, not after all of the Target, Home Depot, etc., scandals.

I can no longer access my home page, but occasionally I can still sneak into the forums to post. I'm sure one day that loophole will be closed too. Arrivederci AudiogoNe
Jmmcgrogan, you're just being too paranoid, what's wrong with you! Getting our credit cards on file is somehow a "benefit" for users or has that facade finally faded? I certainly would hate to see agon getting shortchanged on their cut, I get that, but you ain't getting my CC info on your file.

You guys better figure something else out. There is no way, no how going forward I am going to risk my credit/personal information to online vendors for their/my convenience ESPECIALLY in light of the recent breaches with some of the major league players. There is no sanctuary anywhere in the cyberworld we live in today. You better figure out a better way, that model is dead and you're too late to the game to start playing. I'm already concerned about my Amazon account and have considered changing CC's to avoid any potential problems in the future.
This may have been the dirty dozen. Jmcgroan2 were you one?
Trelja
Redkiwi
Dekay
Albertporter
Cornfedboy
Gregm
Sean
Bob_bundus
Garfish
Tvad
Ozzy
Jadem6
I joined in 2005 and learned a lot on this forum.
Here is a very recent thread where AlbertPorter lists many old time audiogoners:

Old Time Audiogoners
JD:

Scratch me from the list as I probably didn't post until 1999 (deleted my account @ some point and then reinstated it maybe in 2000).

I recall (though my memory of A'Gon originally being a male nurse chatroom may be incorrect;-) other names...

-David99 (a pioneer running 805's with, @ some point, an Aleph 30).

-Kublakahn (love me some Dennis).

-Sam from NYC (always attempting to properly power PSB Silver/Goldi's).

-Sedond with interesting gear @ the time (Audio Alchemy for example).

Think Cornfed/Kelly came a bit later, but his Scotch propelled alter ego late night Sluggo posts were both harmless & hilarious (a fine line to toe online).

I'm allowed to post anything @ A'Gon only because one of the staff has a cyber crush on me being that I'm rich, famous and extremely sexy in real life (she figured out who really I am).
More to discover