Any Tips on Buying?

I’ve had only good experiences buying and selling on Audiogon, but need to share an experience and ask for advice.

I found a hot-ticket item on the first day of sale and knew that it would be snatched up quickly (Cardas Golden Ref. PC), but there was a poor description of the item and no photo. So I sent a message to the seller, who had good feedback, for a better description. He responded and I went to click Buy it Now but it was sold at that moment.
(the listing switched to Expired before my very eyes).

Please don’t tell me “snooze you lose” cause I already feel that way.
So would it be better to Make An Offer, and then ask my question? If I don’t like the info regarding the item, then can I just back out of the sale? This is the second time I’ve lost out on an item by using the Ask a Question option.

What would you do?
128x128lowrider57
Even if you "Made An Offer" the "Buy It Now" takes precedent over that offer. You still would have lost the sale.

No, do not make an offer until all of your questions have been answered and you feel comfortable entering into a deal. Once you do make an offer, see it through. If there is a subsequent problem with the item (it is damaged in shipping, or misrepresented in some way), that is another matter. But backing out of a deal because you want to "secure a place in line" before you have done your homework is absolutely not the right thing to do.

By the way, and for what it's worth, I value a seller's feedback far more than I value photographs. Most folks here--especially experienced members--are meticulously honest. If there is a flaw in an expensive piece of gear, of course I would want to see it. But I do not need to see photographs in most cases on anything but the most expensive gear, such as amps or speakers, and perhaps not then, depending on the seller and the description.

I almost never buy from anyone without a solid record of positive feedback.
You should never make an offer unless you're willing to go through with the purchase. If you're not sure, you should make inquiries. If you lose the sale by doing that, then so be it and move on.
Hi Jim....first know what you want. If you are anywhere near New Jersey, stop in to Audio Connection in Verona, NJ ....great place. By the way....I hope that Cardas works for you....it was awful in my rig.
Thanks for such consistent and frank advice.
I know that making an offer constitutes an agreement to buy, but I wanted to hear what others have been doing. I'm glad to know how many honest and decent folks are members of Agon.(except for those who slipped thru the cracks during the change in Audiogon ownership). It seems like the best of the lot are the ones who participate on the forums.

Even if you "Made An Offer" the "Buy It Now" takes precedent over that offer. You still would have lost the sale.

Mofi- I realize that's always a possibility when waiting for a reply. Walter said it best when he stated to "secure a place in line" with an offer is the wrong thing to do. I've been wondering how many members are actually doing that; we'll never know because there's no way to give negative feedback unless the sale is made.

Again, I agree with Walter that good feedback says more than a photo, unless it is a big-ticket item.

And thanks all for the replies and helping me realize that it was only a cable and not the deal of a lifetime on an amp or speakers.